Computer room Switching layout

THE LONG AWAITED construction update! ;):D

Recent addition of a dirt road crossing over the scrap yard spur, to access a future addition of a BMLA electrical shed, and radio antenna. As you can see some scenery has been started. The palm tree is not permanent, it needs some weathering first!
View attachment 25061

The housing in the corner of the layout is well underway. The Cul-de-sac is Styrene painted black with dirt sifted on top to give it texture. Much more to go here still.
View attachment 25062

Road crossing the scrap yard spur. The spur has to cross over the main vs. a normal branch, due to this rocky hill in the way. Some Woodland Scenics castings I had left over from years ago make up the rock face.
View attachment 25063

The SPSF box and LPG tank are on the tracks in the scrap yard. The tan structure is the "physical location" of my custom paint business. As you can see, there's a floor for a car in the shop, this is due to go under a Stock car.
View attachment 25064

Two more photos.

Some tools of the trade. Hot glue gun! I'm attaching foam core board to the face of the layout for fascia. The paint is the basic scenery paint, with the "dirt road" dirt in the glass jar, and Woodland Scenics scenic cement in the bottle.
View attachment 25065

The scrap spur section of the layout, with fascia installed. Looks pretty good. The high tension tower will not go there permanently, it's under construction, and resting there to dry.
View attachment 25066

Wow Josh!! Much more progress than I've made!! Looking really good!

Carmine, modeling the HO Scale Pacific Belt RR since 1975!

This is similar to what I'm doing (a 2' x 16' point to point). Looks pretty good and can be built is stages, the staging and boxcar factory can be added later.

I would add another siding on the upper right as a team track or holding track during cars moves in/out of the scrap tracks. This could be in the down direction toward the curve on the outside end of the layout.

it's gone!

News today... The layout is officially retired. Sunday the 22nd my wife told me she wants a divorce. Today I officialy started to dismantle the layout in preparation to move into a smaller apartment. I'm not sure what the future holds for me, but for now, I'll have no layout.

Very sorry to hear that Josh. You were great to deal with in emails and I hope you land on your feet as quick and painless as possible.

It's looking ok so far. I should know today or tomorrow if I got the apartment I placed a hold on on Monday.

I've removed two sections of the layout so far, saving the track. Both sections were on the far left end of the plans shown earlier, both had been recently sceniced. I recently (as of last week) completed the warehouse for that module, it had been waiting for a garage door...

It's sad to see it go. I've repeatedly told my wife, that if my seclusion to the train room has been an issue, now that I'm downsizing it will no longer be...

Lol this scares me a bit.

When she wakes up does she find you in the train room? When she goes to bed are you in the train room? Lol if so i better watch myself cause i think im the same way, ive been trying to wait for her to go to work or fall asleep... haha. Seriously though, i hope it all works out for you both...

Sorry to hear that Josh!
When I went thru the "big D" over ten years ago it was hard at first but it worked out great in the end. I'm in a much better place now in all aspects of the phrase and the Ex and I are good friends now.
Feel free to vent as necessary. (it helps)

Lol this scares me a bit.

When she wakes up does she find you in the train room? When she goes to bed are you in the train room? Lol if so i better watch myself cause i think im the same way, ive been trying to wait for her to go to work or fall asleep... haha. Seriously though, i hope it all works out for you both...
Close, but not always.

I work evenings (swing shift) and she worked days. The days I was off, I would come out right when she got home. If she had something to do, say homework, I'd head back in.

However there were numerous times when I would come out to say hi, then head back in. She avoided the train room as it was usually messy as I worked on stuff... :(

I'd suggest making sure you spend time with her, or let her know that if she feels like you're ignoring her when you're in the train room, she needs to let you know, so you can stop what you're doing.

when you say downsizing, how big was your layout and now how big will it be in the end..

Ive heard my old lady say "i just want to go down there and smash your trains"
scary stuff

I guess that I'm very, very, lucky. My wife knows and understands that my hobby is the only thing that keeps me sane most of the time. With all the health problems I've had the past 20 yrs, she knows its my only outlet. She and I used to do a lot of fishing but until recently, haven't been able to. I know to get back to where we used to do some fishing, its probably gonna be several thou to refurbish my boat.

Anyway, she says she always knows where I am, I'm not like many men who goes out with the boys for drinks and carousing a couple of times a week. They generally come to the house, where the strongest drink is usually a root beer, or coffee.

Plus she wants to build some of my structures, and when I get my layout to a point in the next year or two, I get to build her one for her N scale trains!

Wow. I want a wife like you guys have!

Im hoping in time my wife understands i changed my life around from what i once was to a person who doesnt abuse. Only my train addiction now, i say thats healthy then my prior days.
Im glad i found how much fun and joy i get out of railroad modeling, it keeps me a good boy:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back