Compact N-Scale Shelf Layout | 1930's British Steam

First Layout in a While

For the past year now my mind keeps going back to trains. I've not made a true layout in about 7 years. I tried about 4 years ago (some remnants on this forum actually, search for "Landsreth" if you want to find it.) I abandoned the project early on, though, mostly due to space and monetary limitations. So not since my 4x8 HO scale layout I had up until around 2012 have I made a fully operating layout. But that's about to change...

Why a Shelf Layout?

The first obvious reason: space limitations. I'm 19, in college, and I live with my parents in my childhood bedroom. I sadly do not really have an entire room to dedicate to trains. For years, I've put off modelling because of this. I just couldn't find the space that I truly needed to have the layout I wanted. But after getting ideas, I saw it: a 6x1 area. Could I put a layout there? Yes, I think I can.

Reason 2 is a little bit more complex (and somewhat pretentious sounding): It's more realistic. I looked over and over at rectangular, oval track plans and just never saw one I liked that much. I didn't understand why they didn't really appeal to me as much, but then I realized: I've never seen a real life train go in an oval. While quite fun to play with, and very convenient, it isn't very realistic. It's much easier to frame a single scene in a shelf layout and make it look realistic than it would be an oval layout (not to dis oval layouts, they're quite nostalgic and wonderful to me still; just not my cup o' tea.)

The Plan
BranchLine.jpg

This is the plan that I settled on. (all track is Atlas code 80) Based on the Ffarquhar layout by the late Rev. Wilbert Awdry, creator of Thomas the Tank Engine ( see original here https://web.archive.org/web/20170531223059/http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/ffarquharII.htm ) it's actually the end of Thomas' branch line.

I've always loved just going to that webpage and looking at the layout, imagining the trains moving. There's something enchanting about it to me. And it bridges the gap between the children's book series that brought me here and the thoroughly detailed hobby that I stayed for. So, my desire is to basically create a realistic version of Thomas' branch line, taking some liberties here and there.

Anyways, that's all for now!

Rom. 15:5-6 - May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Back