Combining Gauges in Layouts

Cassini

I want to build a layout that will have both HO and S gauge. I'm thinking of the HO would be on a higher level in the back and the S gauge in the front. With the HO being smaller it will looks like it belongs with it further back. At least that is what people tell me.
But not sure where to start to look for track layouts for this kind of configuration. I pretty new to model railroads. Seems like all the layout plans have just one level. I have seen plenty of layouts on you tube that have a couple of levels but not sure where layout plans for something like this.

I always thought S & HO could be the best scales for a mulitiple scale layout since they are fairly close. Using HO at a distance could increase the feelling of depth. I have seen S scale modelers modifing HO structures for use since they are more plentiful. Some of larger scale Plasticville structures I think look closer to HO than S. I'm currently working on their large scale Town Hall for use on my HO layout.

That said, combining scales might not be something to attempt if you are new to the hobby. It does require an 'eye' for it to get it right. However, if you decide to try, good luck and post photos!

A friend of mine is a train repairman. He collected mostly American Flyer and had a large layout he also tyed it into an old piano he hollowed out. I didnt even know it was there till he pointed out!..On top of that he had an HO set that traveled a large oval with a few switches. And a stone wall riser to a detailed N scale. All looked great!.. It was his world!
I always thought it would be cool to have a HO train snake a mountain to a tunnel and have a matching N scale train appear further back to create distance...If you could match the timing up!

Back