Combining 2 favorite hobbies

There's a Man & his Wife that comes to the Plant City, Fla. train shows in March every year or almost every year & they have a Modular layout that is about 20ft long & 6ft wide in HO scale & they have some weird stuff that happens on the whole layout. Earthquakes, big buildings on fire, buildings being demolished, war zone, Space ship attacking earth, flood, large train wrecks, train hitting a semi, dinosaurs attacking a city & a Dragon w/fire shooting out of his mouth. All of these are mechanical operating all the times the trains are running. The layout really looks like crap, but, they get a lot of people taking pictures & the kids love it.:eek::eek::eek:

...and it doesnt make that much a difference anyway as long as you are having fun :D

...and there you go ... the true heart of why we do what we do.

Umm...wouldn't something on 1/100th scale be smaller than the same item in 1/87th scale?

Yes, but Master Chief (the main character in Halo) stood 7.5' tall ... a bit taller than standard sized people. So 7.5' at 1/100 looks reasonable to 6' (ish) at 1/87th.

Edit: Just did the math, and they 1/100th characters may still be a bit taller than normal. 7.5' (90") at 1/100th equates to 6.525' (78.3") at 1/87th scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah even though they say 1:100 and it should be smaller, I think they still run if anything a tad on the big side. But oh well they are still sweet. And they say roughly 1:100 too. And GRIF! HAHAHA! I love red vs blue. And remember, you cant pick up chicks in a tank

Yeah even though they say 1:100 and it should be smaller, I think they still run if anything a tad on the big side. But oh well they are still sweet. And they say roughly 1:100 too. And GRIF! HAHAHA! I love red vs blue. And remember, you cant pick up chicks in a tank

I bought 100 1/100th vehicles from China & they were a slight smaller than 1/87th, but for background cars they look good. The 1/100th people are almost the same as 1/87th. It's hard to tell the difference. The only difference were the sitting people, but I use them anyway. I bought 500 standing & sitting people from China for $25.00. ((The paint is awful & the flashing is still on a lot of them. I've cleaned all of the flashing off w/an X-acto knife & then dipped all of them in a 75/25 acrylic flat black mix. That makes the skin features show up. Some of them had to be repainted all together.))

I agree with Grif, it's a Puma not a warthog....

(for those that like the Halo game but had not yet seen it do a search on Red vs. Blue)

My son always kicks my behind in Halo. But he has more time to practice...LOL

I like the idea of the Halo layout. It is not something you'd see every day.

HAHA I love Red vs. Blue!! I love the one with Shela the tank ;) now only if i could find a 1:87 scale Halo tank!!

I used to build 1/72 scale model airplanes, so I used to hang them over the layout. Yeah, 1/72 is a little large for HO, but when hung from the ceiling over it, most folks probably couldn't tell the difference.

I do this exact thing, the 1/72 planes are close enough you can't tell. Looking for a helicopter in this scale

My son always kicks my behind in Halo. But he has more time to practice...LOL

Precisely why I don't play anymore,,,no fun having your kid shoot your butt off and then hand it to you! :eek: At least the "old man" can still hold his own on racing games, and occasionally win!;)

I cant combine my other hobbies (cars,old tractors) too well. :( Tough getting them in the basement! :rolleyes:

Back