Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to call it a night. Got the grass mowed today then went to the pharmacy to refill my meds then to Wal-Mart to pick up some rice and pasta dinner packets then to Captain D's to get my dinner for today. No work on the layout but I did run some trains. GP7's 116/544, GP9's 7270/1809 and the F3 A/B set #500. Maybe tomorrow after more grocery shopping (food stamp day) I'll run F7A/F3B/F2A Frankensteins. Good thing I don't have any bridges. They'd have to be built heavy to support that trio. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010868-2.jpg

Good Morning

Kinda foggy out here...high near 80F with heat index of 85F...and an ever increasing chance of those t'underin'boomers as well.

Yesterday I went and relaid the track that got clobbered in the derailment/collision...the problem was that a #6 turnout was too close to the back alley behind the three buildings that went ...and, I had a couple of hoppers go to ground there...with the stuck control...all ...beeep..went to ..beeeep:mad::eek::confused::eek:

Today, I have to get some more lightbulbs to fix a couple of lights in the trainroom...and, hopefully, give us some more lights in there....:rolleyes:

Have a good day!!

So, how do you guys keep away from, or recover from burn out?:confused:
I take breaks. I'll play around with the layout for a while and run some trains then I'll park the trains for a month or two or three and just work on the layout a little for a day or two a week. Sometimes I ignore it completely for months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, from beautiful central Illinois. It's 73 now and headed to 87 with a chance of thunderstorms tonight.

By jeffery-wimberly:

Sometimes I ignore it completely for months.

That seems almost like it's against the law!:eek::p:p:p

By kbkchooch:

So, how do you guys keep away from, or recover from burn out?

When a hobby becomes work, it's no longer a hobby and it's time for a break. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Good morning. It's 71° and cloudy with patchy fog. The high will be 90° and it'll be partly cloudy.

My food stamp card was reloaded this morning with $45 so today I'll be finishing up the grocery shopping. Won't take long with that paltry amount. Later I may take a look at the former site of the Shell Service Center.

P1010868.jpg

By kbkchooch:

When a hobby becomes work, it's no longer a hobby and it's time for a break. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Sunny and warm today in the central ohio small town (popu. 16,000) long known for it's industrial compressor factories......often think this quaint old town has the look of a model RR diorama town. (mount vernon) We have RR tracks, crosssings, and an occasional train too.

What you just said Bob, is a nicer way of saying "familiarity breeds contempt". I've been flying RC planes and helicopters for five years and the model RR-ing is a nice break from that. Also run nitro 4wd cars on a friends large private race track north of town......but doing less of this lately since we have no track marshals...and have to run out and tend to our cars when they wreck, flip over, or otherwise become disabled...and with my back it wears me out quick. Plus, can't afford this many hobbies and still have time to go to school...(plus really needing at least a part time job now too). Got it ramped down now to one good electric airplane, one heli, and the train layout is great because it can be improved and expanded at my own pace and don't have to load up the toyota and go anywhere to enjoy that.

There is vastly more interest and involvment in our local model railroad club than the flying club and field. I'm not officially a member of the RR club yet but often attend their thursday night sessions at the large subterranian HO train facility. Hey, that's tonight! :)

Mike

Good Morning from Coarsegold, Calif.,
It's 7:57Am on this Thur. May 3rd, 2012.
Now Sunny & Clear
Temperature of 58.1 °F
Feels Like 54.3 °F
Wind(mph) 0.0
Sunrise / Set 6:01 AM / 7:50 PM
Moon Waxing Gibbous
More Astronomy - >An easy way to remember and understand those "between" lunar phase names is by breaking out and defining 4 words: crescent, gibbous, waxing, and waning.<

Today Partly Cloudy 75 °F
Tonight Partly Cloudy 52 °F

> >

Hello Flo & Francine, how are you both doing today? Looks as though it's going to be a fairly decent day. I'll have some Coffee, a Blue Berry Pancake and three of the small link sauges or one of the large ones, whichever you have? Oh you just have the ground meat, well then a fairly good size paddy will be great then. Oh, and some Orange juice.

Say Karl:
Dealing with burnout seems to happen to us all, myself included, and as has been said prior, you just have to back away from the railroading for a bit. As Bob said, 'If you start loading yourself down with things you feel pressured to do', MRR'ing looses the enjoyment, escape and creative side that's so enjoyable. Maybe all you need to do is to forget all that seems to be hanging over you to accomplish and do whatever feels right and enjoyable even if it's another activity as others have said.
I'm not sure about you, but if I'm somewhat troubled about not being able to visualize how I want something to turn out I just have distance myself from it and allow the the subconscious mind to work on it at it own pace and an answer usually pops up but at it on pace, not when I necessarily want it to.

Also just talking on here as you are can also be a good thing to do.

> >

Say Mike:
More lumps on the head is good reason to stay away from that ex-crew.! Thanks for the warning!!

>>

Say Rex:
In talking with Matt/Littlefoot, he inquired about Corey and I haven't heard from him either, are you aware of how he's doing?

Have an enjoyable day!

How can you??

Afternoon all.....Been busy configuring more old laptops with Vista so we can sell them. I've still gott talk to the boss and find out how much we're selling them for. Last batch went for $125, but these are now 6 months older than when we last sold them. I have one I tore down to make 3 others saleable. I'm going to see about taking the parts machine as I have a new disk drive at home for it (Warranty from another brand).

How can you make any money selling old laptops for $125 with a presumed to be honest copy of Vista??

take care ,,,, ken

How can you make any money selling old laptops for $125 with a presumed to be honest copy of Vista??

take care ,,,, ken
Sometimes profit doesn't enter into the picture. Back in the Win98 days I rebuilt old computers and sold them for $50 each to people who couldn't afford a computer. They were internet ready and included the monitor, keyboard and printer. Granted the modem was an internal dial-up type and the speed was limited and the computers looked like war veterans but it was more than they had previously. One in particular that I remember was an old IBM XT case with Intel 486 innards, 16 megs RAM, a 1.5 gig hard drive, a 3.5 floppy drive and a CD ROM drive. Another was a Tandy 1000 HX case with Intel 686 innards, around 20 megs RAM, 3.5 floppy, CD ROM and a 4.5 gig hard drive stuck to the inner wall of the case with double sided tape. The retaining clip on the CPU heat sink was broken so the heat sink was glued to the CPU. Did the people who bought it care? No. They used it happily for three or four years not to mention it looked like something any self-respecting thief would avoid.

Time for me to call it a night. This morning I helped my father clean up scrap metal debris in the backyard from where the burn pile was moved. Wheel rims, mattress springs, metal fittings from old furniture, etc. Rather he picked the stuff up. I just drove the tractor pulling the trailer he was tossing it all into. It was a lot of work but it'll make it easier to mow that part of the yard. Oh, what happened to the burn pile? It was dumped into a low spot at the edge of the marsh to help build up that part of the yard. Afterward we went to Wal-Mart to get some shopping done. Going with him saved me from using my own gas. No layout work today. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010876-1.jpg

License??

Sometimes profit doesn't enter into the picture. Back in the Win98 days I rebuilt old computers and sold them for $50 each to people who couldn't afford a computer. They were internet ready and included the monitor, keyboard and printer. Granted the modem was an internal dial-up type and the speed was limited and the computers looked like war veterans but it was more than they had previously. One in particular that I remember was an old IBM XT case with Intel 486 innards, 16 megs RAM, a 1.5 gig hard drive, a 3.5 floppy drive and a CD ROM drive. Another was a Tandy 1000 HX case with Intel 686 innards, around 20 megs RAM, 3.5 floppy, CD ROM and a 4.5 gig hard drive stuck to the inner wall of the case with double sided tape. The retaining clip on the CPU heat sink was broken so the heat sink was glued to the CPU. Did the people who bought it care? No. They used it happily for three or four years not to mention it looked like something any self-respecting thief would avoid.

I was obliquely questioning the validity of the VISTA license; nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back