Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Good Morning !

33F with a very low ceiling this morning. We are expecting mixed precipitation today, with temperatures rising to near 40F. That's different from the hype from the TV weather guy, last night.

I decided that I need to upgrade my DCC system from MRC's Prodigy Express. I don't want anything super elaborate, buy something reliable.

Enjoy the final weekend of 2012.

Good morning. It's 31° with 88% humidity. A hard freeze watch is in effect. Mostly sunny today with a high of 48°. Low tonight of 25°.
cond026.gif

It's a bit on the cold side this morning. With a west wind coming off the lake it feels much colder than 31°. Think I'll stay inside today. No plans. I may run some trains later. I'm still feeling very tired for some reason and don't feel like doing anything.

DSCN2808.jpg

Good morning All!!! Took a bit to work my way through the threads and I didn't read all of them. Glad to see the standard folks out and about with some new faces to boot! Happy New Year to everyone in case I don't get back before then. :p
Happy New Year to you Old97! We noticed you were missing for awhile.......probably jumping through a lot of hoops as usual. :cool::p

It looks like my IHC C628 will be converted to DCC sooner than I thought. I have a 70's era Athearn SD45 that doesn't like #4 turnouts. It has a Digitrax DZ125 decoder that I can use for the IHC. This also gives me a good blue box motor I can use on another remotor project.

On the weather front it's gotten up to 44°F. I don't think we're going to see 48°F. It is sunny though. The weather guesser is making noises about the temp nose diving to 25°F tonight. At least he didn't mention anything about snow or ice. That kind of talk could get him hung!

With the wind chill it'll feel even colder here. A north wind will be blowing across the lake. That 25°F will probably feel more like 18°F.

Digitrax Zephyr DCS50. I believe it's output amperage is 2.5. I've run five non-sound locos at once for an extended period with no problems.

Did you know this list of celebrities are or were model railroaders?

Winston Churchill
Tom Brokaw
Phil Collins
Joe DiMaggio
Walt Disney
Michael Gross, the actor
Ed Dougherty, the professional golfer
Merle Haggard
Tom Hanks
Elton John
Michael Jordan
Ricardo Patrese, the Formula-1 race car driver
Frank Sinatra
Joe Regalbutto, the actor
Bruce Springsteen
Rod Stewart
Donald Sutherland
Mel Torme
Neil Young, the rock star. He’s also a part-owner of Lionel…
Warren Buffet
Wilfred Brimley
Gary Coleman
Mandy Patinkin

made some additions to list....

Good evening All,
I'm not sure about the temp here but it was rather comfortable this afternoon so probably about 65°F, tonights low again I'm not sure but probably about 45°F.

WJL I can make you a good deal on NCE stuff.

Say Old 97, Good to see you around again, it's been awhile. I have a cousin that lives in Queens, fortunately far enough inland that Sandy didn't get to his place but he said again this morning everything was still quite a big mess and cars every where and they were still pulling them out.
How's the Broake & Howe doing these days, Mike?

Happy News Years to all if I don't get a chance to post prior.

Oh, some other good news, I sold my MDC Box Cab Track cleaner to my friend who said he'd sell it back to me as he wasn't going to use it so that will be good as I'll eventually need it on my layout and they aren't that easy to find it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year Old97!

Well the C628 now has a DZ125 decoder. It runs very well and doesn't trip up on turnouts. The drive mechanism of the SD45 sits before me as I ponder on how best to make use of its parts. It has a blue box motor with long flywheels and spline drive shafts.

Not much else done today. I helped my father bolt a rack with hooks into his kitchen ceiling so he has a place to hang his pots and pans.

The operative word tonight weather-wise is cold. It's 35 right now but there's a 20 mph NW wind coming off the lake that makes it feel much colder. The low for tonight is supposed to be 25. The heaters gonna be cranked up tonight!

Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2816.jpg

Say Old 97, Good to see you around again, it's been awhile. I have a cousin that lives in Queens, fortunately far enough inland that Sandy didn't get to his place but he said again this morning everything was still quite a big mess and cars every where and they were still pulling them out.

How's the Broake & Howe doing these days, Mike?.

Glad to hear your cousin is doing okay, despite the fact that the area isn't getting much help. The Broake & Howe is alive and well! The B&H track gang is hosting an unofficial New Year's eve party replete with gandy dancer races (They only have one...) whistle blowing and a choreographed lantern show!! Last year's was canceled due to lack of attendance. Seems everyone (Including the B&H track gang) wanted to go to the official New Year's eve party hosted by the B&H RR Claims Adjuster. Word has it that his female staffers wore engineers outfits with caps tilted to the leftside of the brow!!! Very risque and I was sorry to have missed it! :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year to you Old97! We noticed you were missing for awhile.......probably jumping through a lot of hoops as usual. :cool::p

Back at ya and you're correct. Lots of hoops, lots of jumping. Would you believe my doctor thinks I'm fat? :rolleyes: :p :D

Glad to hear your cousin is doing okay, despite the fact that the area isn't getting much help. The Broake & Howe is alive and well! The B&H track gang is hosting an unofficial New Year's eve party replete with gandy dancer races (They only have one...) whistle blowing and a choreographed lantern show!! Last year's was canceled due to lack of attendance. Seems everyone (Including the B&H track gang) wanted to go to the official New Year's eve party hosted by the B&H RR Claims Adjuster. Word has it that his female staffers wore engineers outfits with caps tilted to the leftside of the brow!!! Very risque and I was sorry to have missed it! :p :D

Say Mike,
Thanks, my cousin, his wife and his two sons are also very glad I'm sure as the devastation was quite severe!

Glad to hear the B&H is doing Ok, Buffalo is a considerable distance from Queens fortunately for the little folk as well as the General Manager. Oh, how did the Gandy dancer race go and who won?

So the B&H Claims Adjuster has some fairly adventureous ladies working for him, does he? I sure that was a sight you were longing to see but hey, you can't win them all, you had to keep and eye on all the other activities to ensure they went off as planned! So when duty calls Old 97 just has to bite the bullet and forego the fancy ladies and their cocked hats!

I'm still very curious how you made out as the Gandy dancer?

Good Morning All:

It's a "sunny" Sunday in Central NJ. Temperature is 29F, going up to 34F.

Looks like a busy football day, both of the local losers kick off at 1PM, so I get to see someone else play at 4:30PM :). Cowboys - Redskins at 8PM for the NFC East.
Go Skins!

Trussrod: I'll be in touch after the first of the year via PM.

Enjoy your day y'all!

Joe

Good morning everyone! Its 5f here but they say it feels like -6f. They say upper 20"s this afternoon. I will beleive it when I see it. Im going to try to stay inside today I think.

Good morning. It's 37° with 61% humidity. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 52°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

Despite this mornings balmy temperature it did get down to 26° this morning right about dawn then came back above freezing after a couple of hours. So much for the BIG freeze the weather guesser was shouting about.

Today I'll be inspecting coupler boxes that were glued in place. I have a mess to clean up on the layout. It's left over from the DCC conversion yesterday.

There was an uncoupling and derailment last night just past the Johnson mill north of Sundown that resulted in six cars going to ground. A 29 foot container was broken open and a gondola load of lead sheets was spilled. The train was heading to the Sundown turn that loops around back to Knutzville. There was a Diamond Chemicals tank car involved as well as a Magnolia Petroleum tank car. After an initial inspection the scene was deemed safe. The guys from the Sundown shops were busy with that one. The cause has been determined to be a Kadee coupler box that pulled loose from the Diamond Chemical car. The car ran over the box and derailed causing a five car pileup behind it. It was the eleventh unit in the train. The line back to Knutzville was not blocked.

DSCN2818.jpg

There was an uncoupling and derailment last night just past the Johnson mill north of Sundown that resulted in six cars going to ground. The line back to Knutzville was not blocked.
Good to know Jeffrey.....even so we decided to route a few trains up through missouri then back down to texas.....just in case. :p

Mike

Back