Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

"O the weather outside is frightful..."

Wow, Snow:eek:, wind,:eek: blizzards,:eek: tornadoes :eek:, cold,:eek: and ice!

What's next, locusts? :rolleyes:

I'm staying inside today, playing with trains! :D

Everybody stay warm & safe!

If you think this weather was frightful, wait until Feb 2-3. That's when the Timonium show is scheduled for at the Fairgrounds. Last show gave us "Sandy"!:D:D:D:D

Looks like we're getting more rain tonight then a heavy chance of showers and thunderstorms tomorrow.

Just been running trains today. Bachmann, Atlas, Athearn, Varney, Walthers, Frankenlocos. A lot of them got run today. A lot of locos got serviced. A lot of wheels were inspected.

DSCN2795.jpg

Good afternoon Guys & ?Gals from Central Calif [CC],
Btw, when I say CC my actual location here in Coarsegold is only about 12-13 miles from the actual USGS large Bronze maker cap denoting the Center of the state. Years back Dad and I went exploring just North and slightly West of the Old Town of Raymond, which is 11.2 miles from my location, and where my friend and fellow MRR John lives. I actually photographed the marker and the other interesting thing was that there was what looked like an old Steel RR Trestle that spanned a dry wash just a couple hundred feet to the North of the Marker.

*It's been a cold night as things were quite frosty this morning so the temp probably dropped down to about at least 30°F, what does WW say about the weather?
Right now it 41.5°F dropping to a low of 32°F. Christmas afternoon and night I expierenced some fairly high winds that I imagine were at least 25 mph or higher as the Oaks were blowing around fairly good.

I measured 3.38" of rain but did spill a bit when measuring, then it rained a bit more but didn't measure and ad that in.

I did run my trains, an early 2-8-0 Consolidation with a box car and to shorty coaches up the hill and back down and then added another coach to it and due to the Nickel Silver Tires on the drivers it would only pull about half the grade to the top. So I threw the block switch off and brought an older 2-8-0 Consolidation up behind the end business coach and the couplers connected in the pushing position so I threw the block switch on and gave it power and the helper pushed while the lead engine pulled the cars up to the RidgeCrest area and the Station siding. I then turned that block off and backed the helper down to the lower mainline. Even though both 2-8-0's run at much different speeds they still worked together just fine, but with wheel slip on the lead engine, but they really looked realistic with one pulling and one pushing!

Say Bill, That's some super serious rail bending, I wonder how much tention was behind that loop of track? I wonder if that section of rail snapped out when the Loco was lifted off it or when the cut it to releave the the stress?

Say Jeffrey, Seems as though there were high winds all across the nation.

Say Karl, I think that was a good choice as that's what I did too!

Hi Dana, A recent departed friend was very knowledgeable about the SP and all their workings.

Say WJLI/Joe, Sure seems like you got a considerable amount of rain, where about are you located?

SPSFer, I guess your fairly new to the forum and Flo's coffee shop. Good to have you join us.

Good Morning from very Cold Coarsegold,
It 30°F at 1:30Am and lots of moisture and it may drop lower?

Say Bill, That's a very Patriotic Picture, thanks for posting it!

Ugh!:(

Woke up at 5:30 coughing, runny nose,yucky. DIL commented yesterday that the grandsons were sick...looks like they got something and gave it to grandpa!
Oh well, stuff happens! :cool:

Still, I'm gonna try to get a few projects done today. 2 BL2s for a friend and a caboose for me, then maybe, just maybes, I can finish the 4 Midland units I started over the summer!:rolleyes:

paint%20rack.JPG

Yeah these, untouched since 4/22/12 :eek:

I'll have to blow the dust off of them before we get back to paint. ;)
Oh well, its something to do!

Some nice looking geeps there Karl.

Good morning. It's 54° with 100% humidity. The high will be 62 and there's a good chance of rain.
cond80.jpg

Nothing going on today. I think I'll just take a day off from everything and try to get some more sleep. I may run some trains later.

P1010031-2.jpg

Good afternoon Guys & ?Gals from Central Calif [CC],

Say WJLI/Joe, Sure seems like you got a considerable amount of rain, where about are you located?

I am in Howell, NJ - which is not a place on the official New Jersey DOT Highway map. Howell (population 80k (+ or-) is a NYC bedroom community, 8 miles (+ or -) inland from the Atlantic Ocean at Belmar, so technically Jersey Shore. However, from my vantage point, one cannot see the ocean, and cannot smell the salt air unless there is a powerful storm moving up the coast.

Being coastal, we do get more than our share of rain, (and snow).

Joe

Quote:
Ugh!:(

Woke up at 5:30 coughing, runny nose,yucky. DIL commented yesterday that the grandsons were sick...looks like they got something and gave it to grandpa!
Oh well, stuff happens! :cool:

My son's GF teaches little people. She brought along some genuine Upper Respiratory Distress to share with the rest of the family. Fortunately, It doesn't interfere with our daily activity, but I cannot stray from the tissue box. :).

Good Morning!

Sunny, 34F and breezy in Central New Jersey, going up to 38*-39* this afternoon. The Snow word is in the forecast for Saturday, and Saturday Night. No accumulation forecast so look out!

The track is down on my branch, so most of the track work is completed on my layout. Time to start working on weathering the track, and dropping ballast. Never got this far before - usually this stage meant tearing up and starting over.

Have a great day!

The track is down on my branch, so most of the track work is completed on my layout. Time to start working on weathering the track, and dropping ballast. Never got this far before - usually this stage meant tearing up and starting over.
Feels strange doesn't it? I had that same feeling when I started in N Scale in 1981.

Did you know this list of celebrities are or were model railroaders?

Winston Churchill
Tom Brokaw
Phil Collins
Joe DiMaggio
Walt Disney
Michael Gross, the actor
Ed Dougherty, the professional golfer
Merle Haggard
Tom Hanks
Elton John
Michael Jordan
Ricardo Patrese, the Formula-1 race car driver
Frank Sinatra
Joe Regalbutto, the actor
Bruce Springsteen
Rod Stewart
Donald Sutherland
Mel Torme
Neil Young, the rock star. He’s also a part-owner of Lionel…
Warren Buffet
Wilfred Brimley
Gary Coleman
Mandy Patinkin

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also Wilfred Brimley and Gary Coleman.
Warren's company, Berkshire Hathaway, is supposedly named after his favorite locomotive at the time.

You forgot Mandy Patinkin!

When he was in the series "Chicago Hope" he played a Doctor who had trains in his office,,,they were his!

Calling it a night a bit early. I've been feeling slightly 'off' all day and I just got hit by a wave of fatigue that has me so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2801.jpg

Good morning All!!! Took a bit to work my way through the threads and I didn't read all of them. Glad to see the standard folks out and about with some new faces to boot! Happy New Year to everyone in case I don't get back before then. :p

Back