Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Good afternoon folks.

I'm stuck at work for my nineth day in a row and I'm losing interest. I tried to warn them I would be a little punchy after a week straight but they didn't care.:eek: That's okay, I'm spending my afternoon shopping for an Alco Rs 1,2 or 3. I want to try to get a deal on one and then paint it to my liking. Apparently there is a shortage of Alcos in the ebay world. People are bidding them up with six days left in the auction.:confused: Some how I've decided I NEED one of these but I don't actually want one in CNW or Milwaukee. I feel the need to paint after redoing my passenger cars and pacific. At least I feel like modeling again.
How does $50 plus shipping for new, with DCC sound?
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-64205-Alco-RS-3-Diesel-Locomotive-PRR-p/bac-64205.htm

I plan on using envirotex lite, but I'm sure there are still some fumes involved. I have Sunday off so I think I'll do it then. I'm bringing up a large plastic tarp from the garage just in case something leaks. Better safe than sorry!
Corey, I couldn't agree more. I've found Envirotex will find ANY hole in the scenery, and find its way out:eek::eek::eek:

Makes the floor shiny though!:D Even carpet!:eek::p:rolleyes:

Goog Bordig...

The weather here is sunny with a high of 66F later od....

Yeb, I hab a code...a goog old fashiod code. By dose is all stubbed ub ad I cad barely speag as you can see... ...AAAACCCCHHHIIINNSKI!!!! * sniff sniff HONK!!*

I'se be goig to the bag bood to find some solice in a cup of rub toddy ad by blanky....

Hope you shake that cold soon, Bawwy!;)

Well I'm getting started on the elevator project. The first step is to mark off the sections of the silos so they can be cut. As the photo below shows the marking has been done. Please forgive the crudity of my lines. My hands are not as steady as they used to be.

P1011620-1.jpg

More photos will be forthcoming.

Make them 11-7/8th, cut above the line and mark each one off as you go, you should get that extra one and be even overall.

Well I'm getting started on the elevator project. The first step is to mark off the sections of the silos so they can be cut. As the photo below shows the marking has been done. Please forgive the crudity of my lines. My hands are not as steady as they used to be.

P1011620-1.jpg

More photos will be forthcoming.

Did something very similar several years back,except I used Pringles cans instead of pvc...turned out nice. once I applied some heavy latex paint to hide the "grain" of the can!:D
The kids didnt mind emptying the cans for me!!:rolleyes:

Did something very similar several years back,except I used Pringles cans instead of pvc...turned out nice. once I applied some heavy latex paint to hide the "grain" of the can!:D
The kids didnt mind emptying the cans for me!!:rolleyes:
My first thought on this was to use Pringle's cans. However I don't have any kids to empty the cans for me and I can't eat them so I decided on the PVC. The cost is about the same and it's a lot less fattening.:D:cool:

The first four silos. Four more to go.

P1011629.jpg

Wow!.....holy collections of too many rolling stocks amigos! :eek: I am just now buying 30 more already owned N scale railcars for about $5 pesos each! :) Gondolulas, hoopers, raefers, flatzcars, set of 3 double stokers, booxcabs and stork cars. I am krazy....no? :confused: My trains be a hard pulling for too many wheel cars on two track rails...si`bueno....I thinking so! :D My liking deez hooby!

Mike

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Wednesday, September 26, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

NKP_INRRM06.png

IN State Fair Train, Fishers IN-2006

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Morning All! Thanks for opening up the door Bill. :) Great in your face shot of 450 Jeffrey! I liked it! :p Hey Flo, could you please bring me a cup of joe and a piece or two of rye toast and butter? With jam? And maybe an egg or two? Oh, sunny side up please. Yes. Homefries too with a sausage pattie. Thanks. :) Well All, not much new on the Broake & Howe RR. We're still running on a shoestring budget. :rolleyes: Have a great day All, I'm headed for the booth in the back with a window.

Good morning. It's 69° with 99% humidity and patchy fog. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 90°.
cond026.gif

Work continues on the grain elevator scratchbuild. I got the remaining four silos cut this morning. For those interested the way I get a straight level line around the pipe is by using a hose clamp. Tighten the clamp until it can't be pushed out of line and just slides on the pipe. Marking along the edge of it will give a straight line all the way around and if it was sufficiently tightened that line will be level. Today I'll put some tape across one end of the ends of each pipe section and stand them with the open end up. Pouring some plaster in should seal the other end. When the plaster is dry I'll pour in some glue and let it set. That should lock the plaster plug in place. If I have time I'll get started on making the walls of the structures.

P1010040-1.jpg

Good morning folks.

It's another beautiful day here. I love September! Cool mornings and evenings with highs in the low 70's. I kind of feel like I've missed this month with work and all but at least I don't have time to waste money.

That Bachmann Alco is probably what I should buy. Anything cheaper is going to be an older Atlas without the grab irons. I suppose I could learn how to add my own! Now I just need to justify to my wife why I NEED such a beast when I typically run steam on my layout. The CNW line that runs through the area was referred to as the Alco line after the steam era. I think I should have a least one in case time slips later into the 50's on my layout! Yup, that's the sales pitch I'll giver her!

I suppose I should work since I'm at work.

Have a good day everyone.

Work on the grain elevator got put on hold this morning. My father needed me to help him lift my mothers power chair into the back of his truck. So got that done then went to the nursing home with him as it was going to take both of us to unload it there. We got it unloaded and I drove it to my mothers room. I tested the speed setting on it on the way. A little below medium should be as fast as she needs to go. The fastest I had it up was 3/4's and the vertical mortar lines in the cinder block walls of the hall all disappeared and residents standing in the hall went by like a picket fence. Yeah, she definitely won't need that setting. Anyway, I showed her how to operate it, how to hook up the charger, etc.

Now, on the grain elevator project, I have half of the silos done with what I call 'roof plugs' and I'm preparing to do the other half. The first part of that is to rough up the inside of one end of the with some sandpaper. I then place three strips of one inch masking tape across that end so they overlap a bit. I then put a fourth strip going across those at a ninety degree angle. It's not really needed but I feel better knowing it's there. Next I stand them taped end down on the kitchen counter and pour plaster into them to a depth of one inch then let them stand a couple of hours. I then pour a little glue in and let that set. Removing the tape reveals a fairly smooth plaster plug. Later I'll cover the top with some tissue and glue. That give the glue something to stick to later when I add the gallery (structure on top of the silos). Here's one I did earlier on a piece of scrap pipe to test the concept.

End taped:
P1011634.jpg

End after plaster set and tape removed:
P1011639.jpg

Hey Hey, I actually have a green light from the misses to buy the Bachmann Rs 3!:) I know I could have just bought the dang thing, but it's much better having permission instead of getting the look when it just shows up! She's all pissed off at her sisters and Father so I took the opportunity to ask while she was distracted with that!:D

Work on the elevator is progressing. At this time the plaster and glue and setting in the last of the silos. The next step will be to sand them to take off the smooth plastic appearance and give it the look and feel of concrete. I've already done this on the scrap tube I'm using to test my concepts. It has a nice looking texture of concrete. Later I'll paint it and see what it looks like.

P1011647.jpg

Back