Code 83 vs Code 100 track

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
Code 100: + Cause that's what my layout is. (It's pretty much all there was when the layout was first built in 1964-65).

Code 83: + It's more "Scale Appearing" than Code 100.

If I was to start a layout today from nothing, I'd probably use Code 83.

Rotor

Rico

BN Modeller
I like code 100 on mains as it is very robust and looks to scale when weathered.
I use code 83 on sidings and in yards, looks great next to the 100.

Code 100:
Plus - Lower price than 83
minus - Slightly large in scale sizing

Code 83:
Plus - Better to in scale sizing
minus - Higher price then 100

On my new layout, Currently in design stages, I'll be using Code 83 for all visable mainlines and code 100 for all hidden track, i.e. staging. I'll also be using code 70 for sidings and code 55 for spurs.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
When I switched to flextrack, I used code 83, because it was supposed to be more common and readily available. It's not. All the hobby shops in my area stock code 100, and I have to order the code 83. Luckily, I don't buy track that often, and most shows have it, cheaper than ordering. If I were you, I'd go code 100, if only for the convenience it provides.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.