Code 55 or 80?

Marlin39

What are most of you guys using? There seems to be more variety/options available from Atlas, in code 55 than 80. I'd rather start out right than have to go back and regroup.
Thanks

I'm going with code 55 from Atlas. If you have any older rolling stock with the pizza cutter flanges, they will need to be replaced with low profile wheelsets to avoid hitting the plastic nubs that hold the rails to the ties. Also, older locos with deep flanges are not compatible with Atlas code 55 but Peco code 55 doesn't have that problem due to the fact that the inside rail is deeper due to the fact that it's actually code 80 buried in the ties or at least that is my understanding. I've never bought any of it but some people like it because of the backwards compatibility.

On every forum I'm a member on this is a fiercely debated topic! I used Atlas code 80 flex, with Peco turnouts. I think code 55 tie spacing looks a little better, but with a good ballast job, they both look pretty good.

I would definitely go with the code 55. I was in N scale years ago and after moving to HO scale, I went to code 70 rail just because of the grossly oversize rail in N scale.

I'm helping a friend build the Central Midland, but in N, not HO, using code 55. He's said several times, that if he had to do it again, he'd go with code 80, and he's been in N scale for years.

I use Peco Code 80 because of it's versatility. The only real issue you will find between code 55 and code 80 is the "age of the trains/rolling stock" that will/might be run. Older trains and rolling stock have deeper wheel flanges that code 55 doesn't particularly like. The only other issue might be the appearance. Some say that code 55 is more realistic looking but I'd suggest that is more a personal preference than an "issue".

Bottom line, if your only going to be running "new equipment" code 55 will suit. If your going to be running older equipment then err on the side of "better to be safe than sorry" and go with code 80.

I use Peco Code 80 because of it's versatility. The only real issue you will find between code 55 and code 80 is the "age of the trains/rolling stock" that will/might be run. Older trains and rolling stock have deeper wheel flanges that code 55 doesn't particularly like. The only other issue might be the appearance. Some say that code 55 is more realistic looking but I'd suggest that is more a personal preference than an "issue".

Bottom line, if your only going to be running "new equipment" code 55 will suit. If your going to be running older equipment then err on the side of "better to be safe than sorry" and go with code 80.

I'm starting from scratch, buying new, so I started purchasing code 55. The Atlas stuff, with brown ties, looks a lot better than the black tie code 80 I was going to use.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Great thread.
I was going to ask the same question.
I have the n scale bachmann empire builder set.
I really don't like that ez track.
And after going through the threads and reading
this one I will be using the atlas code 55.
Thanks guy's.

I started my first N scale wit Atlas code 80. Atlas was a PITA back then. My second was a mix of Kato Turnouts, code 80" and Micro Engineering code 55. I had some left over Bridge track from micro engineering Its code 55 too. I used the Kato for all but the trestles and they work good together. If i had to do it again, i would use just plain ole code 80 Kato. Just my 2 cents.

Great thread.
Yes, Wombat457 started as a total newbe. He started HO, did N-scale (the shed layout), and an outdoor G-gauge layout. He started and participated in many great threads as we watched him struggle with things, ask questions, and then share what he had learned.

I started my first N scale wit Atlas code 80. Atlas was a PITA back then. My second was a mix of Kato Turnouts, code 80" and Micro Engineering code 55. I had some left over Bridge track from micro engineering Its code 55 too. I used the Kato for all but the trestles and they work good together. If i had to do it again, i would use just plain ole code 80 Kato. Just my 2 cents.
What does PITA mean?

Simple answer: whatever actually works for what equipment you have.

I have a lot of older stuff, including my locomotives, and I'm not worried about "appearance" since the layout is solely for my personal enjoyment; therefore, I use the older Code 80 stuff.

Works great, no surprises and no unnecessary or expensive parts swapping.

You're probably not interested in this but I'm using code 40 but it is hand laid including turnouts using printed circuit board ties about every 6th tie. That way there are no nubs to interfere with the flanges. Even the older Kadee pizza cutter wheelsets seem to work but laying the track on the wooden ties takes a lot of time but it sure looks nice.

Back