Coastal Overland

I think when you start building you will find there is too much going on, at least that has been my experience. I had to shave off a lot of stuff to make some room to park my trucks with enough space that they could back out (and drive by) from the structures. Especially if you have any tractor-trailer units.
That goes for parking lots around structures as well.

I think when you start building you will find there is too much going on, at least that has been my experience. I had to shave off a lot of stuff to make some room to park my trucks with enough space that they could back out (and drive by) from the structures. Especially if you have any tractor-trailer units.

maybe I missed it but how much area does each square represent?

Dave LASM
Dave: Those are 1" squares. Room size is 30' x 40' ish. The thought is to place tractor/trailers and smaller vehicles in plausible places which at least give the impression of space to move about; aka backing to door, or moving around. There is not going to be specific roads/pathways to each building as infrastructure, only a representation of that space. Just like our trains, it all is compressed no matter how hard we try. I can just imagine the room size I would need to accomplish all of that. The buildings are place holders as I have no idea of the actual size yet. For instance, the brewery ( bottom leftish ) is currently 12" x 16" which is possibly too large and can be compressed more as with the paper/pulp mill just keeping a little bit of bland along with the busy parts. So to me, it looks like the buildings are gonna be smaller than what is on/in the drawing; which gives me a tad more scenery/infrastructure room. As a side note, I have sat on industrial area RR tracks in a 1:1 tractor/trailer loading and unloading, and have positioned myself having to roll across multiple tracks in the pavement at some places just to back in.

You could be right on the 'too much going on' part. Time will tell and things could change.

This railroad as designed allows me to let trains run while switching is done without fouling the main. Well, there are some spots... I can run mainline trains too if that itch needs scratched. There are only 3 or 4 spots that will have this type of track spaghetti and the above is one of the bigger ones. I also am a die hard rail fan and love watching trains move through scenery; cuts, tunnels over bridges and such.

Next time I post something I will change the squares to 1' instead of 1" as that is what everybody is used to seeing with layout plans.

Later

Dave: Those are 1" squares. Room size is 30' x 40' ish. The thought is to place tractor/trailers and smaller vehicles in plausible places which at least give the impression of space to move about; aka backing to door, or moving around. There is not going to be specific roads/pathways to each building as infrastructure, only a representation of that space. Just like our trains, it all is compressed no matter how hard we try. I can just imagine the room size I would need to accomplish all of that. The buildings are place holders as I have no idea of the actual size yet. For instance, the brewery ( bottom leftish ) is currently 12" x 16" which is possibly too large and can be compressed more as with the paper/pulp mill just keeping a little bit of bland along with the busy parts. So to me, it looks like the buildings are gonna be smaller than what is on/in the drawing; which gives me a tad more scenery/infrastructure room. As a side note, I have sat on industrial area RR tracks in a 1:1 tractor/trailer loading and unloading, and have positioned myself having to roll across multiple tracks in the pavement at some places just to back in.

You could be right on the 'too much going on' part. Time will tell and things could change.

This railroad as designed allows me to let trains run while switching is done without fouling the main. Well, there are some spots... I can run mainline trains too if that itch needs scratched. There are only 3 or 4 spots that will have this type of track spaghetti and the above is one of the bigger ones. I also am a die hard rail fan and love watching trains move through scenery; cuts, tunnels over bridges and such.

Next time I post something I will change the squares to 1' instead of 1" as that is what everybody is used to seeing with layout plans.

Later
My roads are only about 12' wide. A big benefit to modelling pre war is roads weren't much and I can go right down the middle and it doesn't look out of place.

My last layout was transition era and I had several tractor-trailers that I wanted to go along with the warehouses. Then I started populating the layout and found that there wasn't much room for the stuff I wanted. I ended kind of packing stuff, but also wanted some kind of grassy, vacant spots so it would look somewhat natural:

a final view 004.JPG

a final view 004.JPG

This area is 4 x 4 and was my industrial area, bigger view of above. I embedded a lot of the track in the sheet rock mud so I could make some space for trucks:

4 x 4.png

Turned out kind of crowded but what do you do with limited space. Originally I planned to have lots more tractor-trailers, wanted them parked in the lower left but they really fill it up.

hope this helps, Dave LASM

Thats about a 2' x 2' area shown with only one track. Roads made from sheet rock mud.

Back