CN Specialty Units

quakers1

The Blue Man
I have seen many CN locos on the market today, but I have not seen any GP9RMs,SD40-2Ws,GP40-2Ws,SD40-2F,SD50F,and SD60F locos anywhere. Is there anyone out there that makes these locos?

-quakers1

No wide cab units (W) by major manufacturers, Kaslo makes some resin F kits. They are high quality shells, and not cheap. The SD40-2F is a CP model.

Does Kaslo make undecorated resin kits? I am looking in to a freelance railroad called the "Scranton Southern". I might do the PRR Middle Division(Altoona to Lewistown). If my freelance comes to life, I need all of the undecorated locomotives I can get. The paint scheme for the locos on the Scranton Southern will be Red with pinstripe lettering(New Colors),Flag Bearer with large lettering(Old Colors). The undecorated locomotives I am looking for are SD70MACs, SD45s, SD40-2s, SD50s, GP40-2s, GP60s, C44-9Ws, SD40-2Ws, GP40-2Ws, CF7s, SD70s, and SW1500s.

-quakers1

Sweet! Do the resin kits come with a chassis? If they don't I need to know where to obtain a chassis.

-quakers1

You can usually use a chassis from a similar model that is produced.

Example, and SD40-2 chassis from Athearn or Kato could be used for an SD40-2W or SD40-2F

Thanks Fred! But can you buy the chassis alone? I am planning on getting alot of Athearn stuff for the layout. The philosiphy is buy a chassis from the same loco series! What I'll need to do is get a GP9 Chassis for a GP9RM, SD50 chassis for an SD50F, SD40-2 Chassis for an SD40-2W, and so on. That seems easy enough!

-quakers1

Quakers1,

Check out Railflyer Model Prototypes (www.railflyermodelprototypes.com) His website is being revamped and isn't particularly helpful right now, but it'll give you the jist of things.

Chris (the owner) has a highly accurate chassis for a number of 2nd Gen EMD/GMDD GP and SD units coming out in a month or so, and a Canadian style (thin-wall) wide cab under development. Chris is from Canada, and offers a lot of products for Canadian modelers. They're all very accurate.

We have a thread on Railflyer that sees activity every now and then here:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5979&highlight=railflyer

Good luck!

The Kalso website http://www.kasloshops.com/index.html lists the model shells they offer, but only a few photos. The CN SD50F will accept several different chassis, Athearn, Life-Like, etc., and may require modifications to fit.

They certainly are not cheap - $100.00 for the SD50F, but are of a very high quality and come with etched brass and/or stainless steel detailing.

Canadian model locomotive works may have just what you are looking for. Their website is www.cmlw.ca Looks like they make or will be making most of the locos you asked about. Ron

Kaslo is producing what CMLW is selling. Keep your eyes open, you can find the SD50F/SD60F cheaper than listed on Kaslo's site. I think Canadian Express Line was selling them for ~$90.

Thank you! Thank you! Detailed info on the kits! And you can get them with a DCC READY CHASSIS! YEAAAHHH!!! And it don't specify that the kits are undecorated for some reason. Are they undecorated?

-quakers1

Last edited by a moderator:

Back