CN SD60F shell

Peter MacCauley

Has anyone ever modelled a CN SD60F with a Kaslo Shops shell? I'm considering purchasing one of these shells, but i have a couple questions:
1. Should i use a proto 2000 or Athearn RTR donor?
2. Having never actually handled a Kaslo shell, I'm not familiar with their quality/detail level.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

Peter.

*copied from previous reply*

Kaslo is one of the BEST resin companies I know of. My SD50F is awesome.

I'd recommend a RPP SD60 chassis, or a PPW SD60 chassis, they'll be easier to mill to fit (I used a RPP SD60 chassis myself).

Kaslo shells are pretty good for resin. The flash isn't too bad. They can be lacking in instructions on how to make the shell fit a chassis I've found. The photo etch details with my two GP9 shells are very nice and very comprehensive. I'd recommend it. It looks easier then building from scratch as I did.

I would stay away from the Proto chassis. I'm not sure if it will be any harder to fit than the Athearn, but the Athearn trucks look way better! RPP chassis would also be a good start, as long as you don't mind detailing that ugly cast fuel tank.

I'm building a Kaslo M420R at the moment, and I'm having more fun than a modelrailroader should be allowed to have!

M420-005.jpg

Back