Cn Gp9rm

CP9302

One of many, many current projects. I hope to actually finish one some day :D

This is a kaslo GP9RM kit with a proto 2000 powered chassis. The shell is pretty good, the flash isn't very heavy and the parts fit together well.

Here is the basic body assembly, the dynamic brake blisters and step wells are separate parts, but the rest of the body is a one piece mold.
CN-7269-060808-1.png

The Proto 2000 GP7u donor is a high hood, so I had to trim the weight in the nose area. I also used a rotary tool to shave some of the inside of the top of the shell to clear all the electronics for the sound decoder in this unit. The frame ends also needed filing to clear the step wells.
CN-7269-060808-2.png

The shell was for the 48" variation, but I decided to model a different unit with 36" fans after getting this shell. I stole the fans from the Proto 2000 donor as well as the winterization hatch. The Kaslo shell comes with a nice set of photo etched details, some of which can be seen installed here. I also got a Kaslo fuel tank for this kit. I am very disappointed in this part, it looks good, but I could have built one cheaper. For the amount of work the Kaslo tank saves you, just build one!
CN-7269-060808-3.png

Fred, did you dismantle the frame to cut it back? Reason I ask, is I have a GP30 to cut back to fit the newer EMD cab on a GP39E, and I'm afraid of getting metal shavings in there, and/or cutting something I don't want to.

Fred, did you dismantle the frame to cut it back? Reason I ask, is I have a GP30 to cut back to fit the newer EMD cab on a GP39E, and I'm afraid of getting metal shavings in there, and/or cutting something I don't want to.

I removed the front weight to trim it, but did not fully dismantle the frame. I took off only what I had to. I would recommend taking the weight out before you try to do any major cutting.

The notches in the ends of the frame to clear the step wells were filed with frame assembled because they where very small modifications. I would recommend masking the electronics and gears as best you can before filing if you leave the frame together though.

How'd you get it apart? I can't figure this darn thing out. I get the screws out then can't pull it apart, it feels like I missed a screw.

How'd you get it apart? I can't figure this darn thing out. I get the screws out then can't pull it apart, it feels like I missed a screw.

Not sure about a GP30, but the GP7 has one screw at the front and two under the fuel tank that hold the front weight in. The pickup wires from the trucks also pass through the weight, so I had to unsolder them from the tabs on the truck to get the weight out. Hope that helps. Look forward to seeing your project come together, I've always liked those rebuilt GP30's with standard cabs. Too bad I don't model BN.

Cool, thanks Fred, I'll see if I might have missed one (think I might have forgot about the fuel tank ones...).

Sounds like lots of work to get that engine done, Fred, but it should look great when you finally get the paint on it.

The tread plate from Railflyer arrived a while ago, and I finally got around to adding it to the model! I still have some detail work to do on the pilots before painting, but I'm getting closer!

Back