CMX Track Cleaning Car

Tony,

I've both pushed and pulled the CMX with F7 and FA diesels. No set pattern yet, though I prefer pulling. I find that using the "A" and "B" units together provides a little more power to get up a very short, gentle incline.

Tony,

I've both pushed and pulled the CMX with F7 and FA diesels. No set pattern yet, though I prefer pulling. I find that using the "A" and "B" units together provides a little more power to get up a very short, gentle incline.

The theory behind pushing is that the track gets cleaned before the locos reach it.

It really only applies if your track is so dirty the locos cannot run.

Frederick

You all talked me into the CMX cleaner. Arrived today and is already running my tracks cleaning away. They weren't kidding about the white glove test....

You all talked me into the CMX cleaner. Arrived today and is already running my tracks cleaning away. They weren't kidding about the white glove test....

Congrats, Olie!

A lifetime investment indeed. I ran it thoroughly around the layout six weeks ago and have not needed another cleaning since. That beats any other method I've tried. :rolleyes:

Congrats, Olie!

A lifetime investment indeed. I ran it thoroughly around the layout six weeks ago and have not needed another cleaning since. That beats any other method I've tried. :rolleyes:

At first I was skeptical about the manual saying once the track was clean it would only need to be done once or twice a year. After seeing what it can do, I'm starting to believe. Money well spent!

At first I was skeptical about the manual saying once the track was clean it would only need to be done once or twice a year. After seeing what it can do, I'm starting to believe. Money well spent!

Indeed. I can even hear and see operational improvement with a good 'ol CMX cleaning. ;)

Olie,

Knew you would like it and it is as good as they claim. They are WELL worth the money in my opinion and something you only need to buy once.

Not a problem mate just glad you liked it and it works as well as mine did ... and might take you up on the Smithwicks at some point as well :)

CMX brass track cleaning car, I have this, and it works great. I use lacquer thinner as the cleaner. I also built a car to pull behind it to wipe the rails dry.

I purchased the car when it first came to market, easily 15 years ago. I am very glad to see they are still around.

Money very well spent ...
Greg

Took a picture to help the idea along.

The pads are Dremel buffing pad, I rotate them as they get dirty, IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg IMG_2878.jpg

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as I believe in "practicing what I preach" I have just ordered my N Scale CMX car. Hopefully it will arrive mid to late next week and I will be able to end the "agony" of hand cleaning my wife's small N Scale.

Tony,

Wise money spent, you will see the rail head bright. Lacquer thinner, I have found works the best. The flow rate is controlled, by having the cap slightly loose.

If the cap is sunged down the liquid will not flow. A vacuum created, loosen up the cap acts as a vent. You will catch on pretty fast, just sending a heads up regarding it.

Greg

Back