Class Action Law Suits Against Photobucket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure there was an easier way to do it than this...unfortunately my memory just doesn’t remember how.

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't use PB, so I have no idea. An IT friend of mine posted this on FB, and remembering this thread, thought someone might be able to use it.

Never having used this before - I am wondering?
Gene - Can you print your uploaded photo from the website?
Does the print have the "watermark" on it?
Do you retain the uploaded photo on your computer too, or does it disappear to Photobucket?

Sherrel...yes you can print your uploaded photo from their website and no it does not have the watermark on it...yes you retain the photo on your computer unless you choose to delete it from your computer. This is the photo I have been using.
IMG_5551_zpsdwq2nkpg.JPG
PNG image.png

https://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o703/Genetk44/IMG_5551_zpsdwq2nkpg.jpg
PNG image.png

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't use PB, so I have no idea. An IT friend of mine posted this on FB, and remembering this thread, thought someone might be able to use it.
I wonder if JIM(hoexplorer) is aware of this ...??

Gene --Thanks for the info - since I missed all the "fun" - I might try one of the free versions. Their pricing seems pretty reasonable -- wonder why they came out with that $400, or $600? ransom?

I use Apple products...what I noticed was that the PB website and their app work ok on my iPad but the PB website is super slow on my Apple desktop computer. That all being said, I would advise using SmugMug instead of PhotoBucket

First of all, there is nothing in life that's free, not health care, not education, not photo hosting. All of your photos should be kept on your own equipment as well as your own external storage device. If you depended on them, I am sorry for you.
There is no class action lawsuit that I am aware of. In order to have one, individuals have to sue, then someone has to petition a judge into combining the individual lawsuits into a class action lawsuit. This has not been done. There may not be grounds to begin with if their actions are spelled out in their terms of service. The only beneficiaries of a class action lawsuit are lawyers. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The OP just asked if there was one, he made no reference to there actually being one.
PB may own the rights to the use of the pictures that are on their hosting service, but if you retained the originals, you still hold the copyrights. That is the reason for the watermarks on their copies. I am sure that is in their terms of service as well.
What they have done is absolutely abhorrent, but probably legal. They certainly screwed a lot of people, especially small business owners who depended on their 3rd party hosting to advertise on certain websites. The article from Yahoo Finance that Gene linked to (for a good laugh), is quite misleading. It cites eight months of growth without taking into account the previous fifteen months of instability due to the policy change. They actually had more "subscribers" prior to June 2017 when the change took place.
Disclaimer: I do not use Photobucket nor have I ever used it, so I am only familiar with their terms of service through reading about them.
Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
Willie...you are absolutely correct about the article and the Photobucket subscriber numbers...they lost thousands upon thousands of subscribers in late 2017 due to their stupid change in policy fiasco...they also dropped from a workforce of 120 to 10 persons. And they still have not recovered the numbers. I would never trust them again, even with a paid subscription.

I thought I'd have a look at the site, haven't done so in ages. The only option that I can access is to sign up. Anything else just returns an error message.

But you can sign up for the free account...which is what I did
I just tried again this morning (Friday), is working now. I see I only have 14% of my allowed storage used anyway. I believe everything in there is copied from ones on my computer anyway. No watermarks visible. I guess if I try to share them 3rd party, I'll get blocked.

I've gotten so used to copying and pasting direct from my computer or from sites like rrpicturearchives.net, whether I'll bother with the vagaries of peebucket's changing policies is moot. I certainly won't be storing any more on there, just in case. I think they will have to rely on new customers who haven't experienced their history to keep going. Good luck with that, I would say. The stink of a bad reputation can be hard to erase, no matter how much deodorant is applied. I notice the "Proudly Hosted on" watermark on yours, which, probably, most would not object to, had it always been applied, as some other sites do similar. Still an intrusion onto your picture. I guess you have to pay to have that not applied.

Last edited:
Yeah...well I’m with you on that...I wont use PB for anything at all...I just did this as a test for discussion purposes. The interesting thing is the watermark didn’t show up on the pics further up the page which is weird.

Yeah...well I’m with you on that...I wont use PB for anything at all...I just did this as a test for discussion purposes. The interesting thing is the watermark didn’t show up on the pics further up the page which is weird.
2 possibilities, you used up your freebies, or more likely, the algorithms took a little time to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back