Christmas

Once again we enter a time of year that is synonymous with Santa, and trains. I recently bought a massive collection in which was a hand painted 300 figure Christmas parade, with a santa claus and everything. 2 O27 lionel trains circle the tree and the living room, and the KS Mainline is as busy as ever! So what do you do? (pictures encouraged!) Merry Christmas!

I really wanted to get the Lionel Polar Express full train set. But I spent too much money already on new benchwork, track, etc. for the new layout. Can't afford it right now.

I really wanted to get the Lionel Polar Express full train set. But I spent too much money already on new benchwork, track, etc. for the new layout. Can't afford it right now.
Yeah, I found a loco at half price and full set of cars on ebay last summer and neglected to do the 'buy it now' on the cars so then the bid ran up to a higher price. So my Polar Express consists of the Century Series II Berksire 2-8-4, pulling only a diner and an observation car. Sigh. Since it requires O-72 track they will be around the big 12' tree this year in the main lobby.

The gym lobby is already set up with the G-gauge in the Christmas forest (see WPF thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the bug too and will use my Bachman DC starter set with my lil 0-6-0 and some ez track with the ballast on it around the tree. it's my best smoker! I like the idea of the smoke wafting up through the tree with no risk of fire!

I bought a Micro Trains Christmas train set after Christmas last year. I ran it for a few laps to see how it ran. Seemed ok. I guess i will go and get the things i need for the tree and the Christmas layout today. I hate shopping.... To bad Lowes or Home depoh don't let you buy on-line and deliver same day..........

The office Christmas tree is up with its train.

Office Christmas Tree 1025.jpg

I debated putting the 18" loop on the skirt or a 22" just off the skirt. I finally chose the 18" because it was more protected than the larger loop would be. Was a bit worried about someone kicking it. The track is old brass left over from the 1960's. The 0-8-0 is a Walther's Proto Heritage. The cars are all wooden craftsman kits also from the 1950s and 1960s. Used the Digitrax Zephyr for power. I expected to have nothing but trouble with the track pulling apart because the mushy base as the train "rocked" it each time it passed. I expected issues with derailments. I expected stalling. After about 10 minutes of cleaning the track it ran just fine. Set it to run about 20 smph and I've been amazed at how flawlessly it has run.

I got out my very small Round the Tree Layout and have been "upgrading it" scenery wise with a log cabin, garage, pickup, snow and oh yeah a light up xmas tree and Santa. Just waiting for my "Snow Ball Fight Scene to arrive to complete it all :)

Unfortunately, it is TOO small to run under the tree for this year so it is sitting on a shelf but is still xmassy none the less.

Great video LW, very nice sound!
I have a loop of O scale track and a speeder that runs around the tree, that's about the extent of it.

As for my Christmas this is first time I'll be alone since 2012, it seems that my family /siblings decided not to do christmas this year.. they seem to be far, far, far too busy or wrapped up in their own lives .... their children and Grand Children etc. It looks like a nice chicken dinner then a quiet Christmas for me !

BCK RR

I know what you mean, my family is too busy also. Quiet christmas for me too. I'll be running trains, and enjoying my own christmas gifts to myself. LOL

Our Kids are grown and have their kids so we don't bother putting up a Christmas tree. We usually head over to my daughters house and have a big family breakfast, give the grand kids their gifts and with the high pitch squeals of the kids, it's time to go home and relax. Will probably run some trains or work on some MRR projects. Maybe take a nap or watch TV. Who knows.

Our xmas's have been very quiet for the past few years, ever since the boys moved out. While it is nice to have the family around at xmas time they do have their own lives and families to worry about as well. While obviously my wife and I would prefer to have both boys at home for xmas day we are happy just to hear from them if they can't be here.

This xmas though is going to be a busy one for us with our oldest coming home from Anchorage, so it is going to be more like a traditional family xmas - and that is good!

The great Christmas Forest 2015 exhibition ended Sunday evening. Somewhere between 150 and 200 people attended. Final count on trees is 32 lighted, of which 27 were decorated, of which 16 were themed. Plus 10 more undecorated "supporting" trees.

The main lobbyIMG_5503_med.jpg
IMG_5355_med.jpgThe gym lobby

The "first" G-gauge loco I ever owned still going strong 35 years later.
IMG_5379_small.jpg

A Lionel Century Club 2-8-4 pulls the Polar Express. Boy those 36" radius curves are tight.
IMG_5540_small.jpg

What a surprise to me on Dec 22, one of my two sisters invited me to join her family this year, one of my FIVE Nieces knew I was coming !

BCK RR

I used the Christmas Holiday as a deadline to clean up the layout room, finished some scenery and clean track so I could run trains for our Christmas visitors.

I also ordered an Atlas DCC with sound, loco lettered for the MR&T (Model Railroader Magazine's layout) for myself.

Greg

Back