Christmas Presents

Jim -

Sadly to say, their retail store is only a shadow of what it was ~3 years ago before they eliminated 60% of their showroom to expand their warehouse space. Once they did that, it became less of an attraction for me. I got the free shipping this time as a Christmas special deal because my order total was slightly above $100.

Ken
Now that I know their showroom is down-sized, I have no need to stop. I'll just order online.

If anyone is near Baltimore and has the time, the Strasburg Train Shop https://www.etrainshop.com/tek9.asp in Strasburg, PA is well worth the visit. It also happens to be nearly co-located with the Strasburg Railroad and Railroad Museum of PA. According to Google, the drive is 1:15.

They stock tools, paint, craftsman wood, books/magazines, plastic building kits, details both scenic and brass, DCC items, Kadee products, electronics, scenery items, locomotives, new and used railroad cars. Just to name a few. They also offer several scales/gauges.

This Christmas the wife and I decided to purchase 1 thing we could both use. WE bought a Cricut cutting machine. MY wife has bad arthritis in her hands and it is only a matter of time for me. This machine cuts leather, up to 1/16" basswood, up to 3/32" balsa, styrene and all types of paper goods. My wife makes leather mitts, moccasins and mukluks. She will use it for cutting out all her parts and it will cut all holes that she used to have to punch by hand. I will use it to cut out walls, window and door openings, balsa parts for RC planes, vinyl decals for the planes and hopefully a ton of other things as well. It can cut so accurately windows and doors for structures can be installed without glue, just a friction fit.
https://home.cricut.com/cricut-maker

If anyone is near Baltimore and has the time, the Strasburg Train Shop https://www.etrainshop.com/tek9.asp in Strasburg, PA is well worth the visit. It also happens to be nearly co-located with the Strasburg Railroad and Railroad Museum of PA. According to Google, the drive is 1:15.

They stock tools, paint, craftsman wood, books/magazines, plastic building kits, details both scenic and brass, DCC items, Kadee products, electronics, scenery items, locomotives, new and used railroad cars. Just to name a few. They also offer several scales/gauges.
Thank you, I've been wanting to take my boys (grandsons) to see the real trains, now I have extra incentive!

My wife got a good deal on 25 sections of flex track for me. She said, :If you go through that in a year, I'll be shocked!" Me, too. But I'll also be happy. ;)

Sorry I am late to the party. I got a couple new critters for Christmas.

Attachments

• 20190103_165103.jpg
    20190103_165103.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190103_165358.jpg
    20190103_165358.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 179
A present to me from myself. The best kind.
That is one of the best painted figures I have ever seen.

Edit - I retract that statement. That is not one of the best, that is THE best paint job on an HO scale figure I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Allan:

That's a great example of of railroad machinery!!! Excellent detailing and I agree about the painted feature best one of the best I've also seen.

How about doing a couple of locomotives for the Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad?

Greg

Allan:

That's a great example of of railroad machinery!!! Excellent detailing and I agree about the painted feature best one of the best I've also seen.

How about doing a couple of locomotives for the Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad?

Greg
She's a straight out of the box Athearn Genesis Greg. Pretty isn't she? Though that would be an easy scheme to replicate (daylight orange ends and a black body). Years ago I did a brace of these Geeps with the ancient Athearn wide body. Light clusters, grabs, lift bars, other details, and a Black Widow paint job nobody was offering at the time, those models were sold off long ago as newer better models came on the market. There are four of these on the roster at the moment, two black widow freight versions, a passenger "Torpedo boat" and this one. The work bench is currently clogged with a brace of SP 2-8-2's being painted. The first has been finished and is on the layout, the second finished yesterday and photos will be posted over on the Brass 2-8-2 project thread, and the third is currently being re-motored and mechanically checked prior to full disassembly for blasting and painting, so I'm afraid there are no diesel projects in the que.

That is one of the best painted figures I have ever seen.

Edit - I retract that statement. That is not one of the best, that is THE best paint job on an HO scale figure I have ever seen.

A fellow at the club took the photo and supplied the figure. I'm not sure of he painted it or if it's a factory paint. It would be easily within his ability. When we can get him away from his camera he's a darn good modeler! He has a Flicker page where he documents club activities. It's worth a look. See it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_mathu/albums/72157636420703803

IMaybe some accompanying pics, also?
Well I'm bummed. I've guzzled down all but one of my cream sodas. sigh.
20190109_195116[1].jpg

On the other hand, I hit a really good deal on Branchline Heavyweight Passenger cars. I figure the trucks are worth more than I paid for the whole kit. Areojet will probably have a zillion ideas of all the cool things these can be made into.
20190109_195415[1].jpg

Good Afternoon everyone.................just returned from a trip to the cabin to check on things and get a load of cut and spit maple for our home fireplace. The area in winter is interesting with the deer being easy to spot with the snow in the deers' background. Needed the four wheel drive to get in and out of the driveways. While we were up at the cabin we checked on a wooded property we have about 10 miles form the cabin since a neighbor thinks that I like dead wood and fallen needles he can dump in our woods. Sooner or later I'll catch him in the act of dumping. He'll find out about the $1,300 trespassing fine plus the cost of the dumping on private property fines.

Iron Horseman: That Sprecher Cream Soda is the best when chilled in a tall glass. The product is made in nearby Milwaukee and I've met Randy Sprecher at several functions in the pass and he's a great guy and also makes several craft sodas. The soda is sold in modst stores that I'm aware of in our area.

Allan: Yes, that's a great little model...too bad I'm not modeling the SP!

Trains tomorrow!

Greg

#####################################

100_0282.JPG

Real life railroad bridge.

Back