Choosing correct ballast for track

My preferred method of securing it is an easy one-step application of adhesive. Simply use matte medium (Mod Podge, for example) diluted with water to the consistency of skim milk. Then add a bit of isopropyl alcohol. I use the 91% type, but 70% works fine, too. The matte medium + alcohol mixture is self-wetting, so there is no need to first pre-wet the ballast with "wet water" before applying the adhesive. The alcohol in the matte medium breaks the surface tension, and the adhesive soaks right into the ballast.

This technique does not work well with WS crushed walnut shell ballast. But with real rock ballast, I've found it to be foolproof.

- Jeff

JEFF: In the mixture you describe, how much isopropyl alcohol do you add to the ModPodge/water mixture?
Thanks.
Johnny

My preferred method of securing it is an easy one-step application of adhesive. Simply use matte medium (Mod Podge, for example) diluted with water to the consistency of skim milk. Then add a bit of isopropyl alcohol. I use the 91% type, but 70% works fine, too. The matte medium + alcohol mixture is self-wetting, so there is no need to first pre-wet the ballast with "wet water" before applying the adhesive. The alcohol in the matte medium breaks the surface tension, and the adhesive soaks right into the ballast.

This technique does not work well with WS crushed walnut shell ballast. But with real rock ballast, I've found it to be foolproof.

- Jeff

JEFF: In the mixture you describe, how much isopropyl alcohol do you add to the ModPodge/water mixture?
Thanks.
Johnny
I add about an ounce of 91% isopropyl alcohol to 8 ounces of dilute matte medium. In other words, after diluting the matte medium with water to the consistency of skim milk, then I add the alcohol. I do not worry about measuring the alcohol with great precision. This is model railroading, not rocket science!

I allow the mixture to sit for a few days so the talc in the matte medium settles to the bottom. Then I pour off (decant) the matte medium-water-alcohol into a clean container and discard the talc that's left behind. Getting rid of some of the talc reduces the chance that you'll end up with white flecks of talc in your ballast.

- Jeff

I think ballast is the one thing that actually looks good over-scale. Here's some #50 Scenic Express real-rock ballast, which they recommend for N-scale, but I think it looks too fine. Their #40 is for H0, but I think it looks better.

ballast-3.jpg

Back