Chicago Great Western GP-7 Color match

iggy809

Want to paint an Atlas GP-7 in CGW red color scheme, black roof,# 120. Anyone know a color match? Thanks John

Can't help you with the exact color match, but this link will give you some nice photos and background info.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=38983

A better photograph:

cgw120-3.jpg

Note: This link "CGW Paint Schemes) simply calls the color "red": http://www.trainweb.org/cgw/history-bin/cgw_diesel paint.html

This photo from the above website, not dated

120,121.jpg

lasm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information. After seeing the photos,what do you think about caboose red and a couple drops of maroon. Any suggestions on a do it yourself match. I have a Badger color chart to work with. Lots of red paint on the chart to deal with. Thanks John

I notice that the shade changed over time, so I guess there is some leeway as to new out of the paint shop or faded a little. One link indicated the date each photo was taken.

Not to sound sexist, but my wife is way better at this stuff, getting the right shade. If you have one, make up a few samples and let her decide?

lasm

How do you intend to paint the engine, with an air brush or by hand? If you are going to spray then try Tru Color as they have paints specific to rail roads.

Stripping an Atlas loco shell.

No problem, glad to be of some help.

Stripping the Atlas GP7 shell I found the inside of the shell has aluminum paint. What is the purpose of this coating? Sheild the LED's from showing through the shell,or what? Does this need to be reapplied?

That was usually the case. The plastic is a light gray color, and if the engine was painted a light color, sometimes the interior light would glow through the plastic.

Mark.

It might be easier to spread a small amount of aluminum foil inside the shell, attached with a little blob of silicone glue and pushed flat with a finger.

It might be easier to spread a small amount of aluminum foil inside the shell, attached with a little blob of silicone glue and pushed flat with a finger.

Red paint may be here today. Top is black ,should not be a problem. Sides red maybe.
Great idea. Hard to paint inside. Thanks

If painting the "inside of the shell" is just to create a light barrier, wouldn't having a good coat of primer, along with the final colors, block light from getting through?

If painting the "inside of the shell" is just to create a light barrier, wouldn't having a good coat of primer, along with the final colors, block light from getting through?

SP Scarlet came and in my opinion way to orange. I think caboose red would have been better. Messed with SP, straight red and maroon and came up with a color I can live with,as I am not a rivet counter. I can always repaint if I want to. This is my first attempt , a very simple scheme and happy with the results so far.
Waiting a couple days to put the black on, decal, reassemble and put to work.
Thanks everyone for your help and input. John

Back