Changing lights in Athearn

Anyone change the bulbs in an Athearn genesis to leds.Wondering what wattage leds.
As I recall Genesis bulbs are 1.5v. The current and hence the wattage will be governed by the resistor used with the LED. So if you use a 1K resistor with the LED then:
I = E / R or Amps = 1.5V / 1000 ohms for .0015 Amps
W = I * E or Watts = .0015 amps * 1.5V for .00225 Watts.

Personally I always use a component rated way over the required, so in this case it looks like a 1/4th watt will work. In working with LEDs in model trains since 1984, I can truly say I have never once worried about their wattage.

Last edited:
As I recall Genesis bulbs are 1.5v. The current and hence the wattage will be governed by the resistor used with the LED. So if you use a 1K resistor with the LED then:
I = E / R or Amps = 1.5V / 1000 ohms for .0015 Amps
W = I * E or Watts = .0015 amps * 1.5V for .00225 Watts.

Personally I always use a component rated way over the required, so in this case it looks like a 1/4th watt will work. In working with LEDs in model trains since 1984, I can truly say I have never once worried about their wattage.
I have 2 I'm going to change to the TCS WOW sound and figured mine as well do the lights also.

Last edited:
The watt rating indicates how much heat the resistor can dissipate. So a higher rating will be fine...maybe overkill, but if you got 'em, use 'em!

Back