CB&Q color?

Gary,

If you get a chance, I'd love to see them. Give me some clues on what to do as well. Just a quick question if I may, did you fully paint them or did you use decals for both the A and B units for the striping etc?

Trailrider,

I am with Gary, don't let ballasting bluff you - it isn't hard to do, just time consuming. I did a "how to" vid on the way I do it your interested. If not, as Gary also said, there are plenty of vids and articles on how to do it. It really boils down to what method works best for you.

Tony ....

I used Micro Scale decals for CB&Q F-units after painting them light gray. .... One part is tedious, and that is the rims of the portholes which are black. The Micro Scale decal set has little black rim decals for that. ... Also, there is a thin red stripe above the broad red stripe with black borders. It wraps over the nose, and it is tedious too. .. The rest of the decals are not difficult.....

Here are the FT's .... I purchased two unpainted Stewart AB sets several years ago at a train show for only $30 per set. They are very nice running engines. I installed the handrails and grab irons myself. They have a single headlight which is how the units look new from EMD in the 1940's. Burlington later added a second headlight in the nose. I decided to keep them with just the single headlight. Normally, I run the two AB sets together for an ABBA consist.

35934111834_35af9f5aa7_b.jpg

Thanks Gary those unit look superb. I have ordered the micro scale decals and putting the Black Rims on as well as the red very thin stripe is going to be tedious. I started to paint all of that and gave up after doing only one of the thin stripes.

Thanks for the explanation re the headlights as well. Yours with the single look even more intimidating.

Back