Carolina Central Moves to HOn30 Maine

hminky

Been in and out of HOn30 since the early 1970s. Was N-Scaling and got a good deal on the Kato Carolina Central layout about four years ago. Sure looked like HOn30 with the track spacing. Bought some Minitrains and Shapeway HOn30 cars but health problems caused me to shelve model railroading.

2018 was a good health year so returning to model trains tried N-Scale with an attemept at a "door layout" in N-Scale with standard gauge. Trouble is "I see narrow gauge". Various other odd model train ventures intervened. Got a Myner Models Model Power 2-6-0 conversion working. Runs great after a major D-oh moment.

Found that I could make my Kato track look like HOn30 with little effort.

unitrack4.jpg

So the layout is still in track planning stages.

layout1.jpg

Harold

Harold -- What scale are you modeling? I have not heard of HOn30? HOn3 or On30, but don't know what HOn30 is?

Don't model in any scale really, just model stuff that suits me. Better than having a spider farm.

HOn30 is generally loosely modeling Maine two footers on N-Scale Track.

What is HOn30?

Harold

Last edited:
Queensland has a lot of 24" sugar cane track, up and down the eastern side of the state and when it's modelled in HO, yes N's 9mm track is used. Call it modeller's license, "She'll be right", cant be bothered handlaying to scale (7.6mm?), or whatever. It'll do. I suppose if you went to Nn24, you could opt between "Z" or "T" scale track.

HO Engineer Bill likes the look of this N-scale Unitrack test piece with the faux fur grass berm for our HOn30 project.

fur_grass_ballast3.jpg

The other berm attempts were Sculptamold mixed with my base earth color latex paint. Really messy and time consuming.

My fur grass articles are at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/fur_grass/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Back