Carfloat...railroad barge

beiland

ID this carfloat?

Last weekend I picked up a misc box of HO parts at my local flea market. In the box there was a plastic carfloat model about 23.5" long that was made in 2 sections. It was 3 tracks with an interchange, and the rails were metal.

The only identifying marks were a molded on the bottom

C 2012
James & Anna Cleveland​

Any idea as to history/origin of this model?

Beiland...at a swap meet I purchased three idler flat cars that were custom made by a decal manufacturer. The cost for three custom, fkat cars with metal wheels and KD coupler was a total of $15.00.

The shorter part, the one with what appears to have a section of dual gauge track on it, is, as described lower down the page as a "float bridge". This means it is a permanent fixture to the dock's edge by horizontal pivots (hinges) and floats up and down with the fall and rise of the tide. It is a connector piece between the dock and the longer Barge that can be towed away.

FYI. I worked at a place that had large things delivered by barge and large wheeled vehicles (similar to low boy trailers) on the barge. They would pump water in/out of the barge innards to offset tide issues.

This was because there was no "float bridge' at the site.

FYI. I worked at a place that had large things delivered by barge and large wheeled vehicles (similar to low boy trailers) on the barge. They would pump water in/out of the barge innards to offset tide issues.

This was because there was no "float bridge' at the site.

They may even have to do that with the bridge as I described because the angles at the joins wouldn't be able to be too great. It would have to be kept as level as possible.

Initially I had no plans (or very little) to include a carfloat on my layout. But I did have a Walthers one, and now I have a another one. I might be able to include a car float down at the tip of my peninsula, across from my waterfront scene that already has some tug boats. And that center peninsula was going to be primarily a number of port scenes.

And I would have it on the edge of that center peninsula deck, and make it a REMOVABLE piece somewhat similar to my waterfront scene. I recall seeing a 'removable installation' somewhere recently, but can't recall where at the moment.

DSCF4710.jpg

DSCF4711.jpg

......just across the aisle there is the cutout that my waterfront scene sets into,...with its tugs, lighthouse, and small coal barge

Back