cantilever build saga continues. the thread

NVSrr1500

IMG_0598.JPG

Doesn't look like much was done does it? But most of the progress was contemplating and strangulating numbers. My other signal bridge sit 29 feet from rail head to underside. This will be so for this one. To start, the heads needed to be painted so they are ready for LED work. In the pic is also three assemblies. the two that look like ladders are the vertical part. I had to figure a width, which is 6' outside face of the flange to flange. The I beam cross brace is 5'6' which fitted makes that 6 foot width. One is two foot off the bottom the other is halfway between that beam to the bottom of the horizontal. An intermittent cross member of flat stock was added. more to be added and the x brace of flat stock still needs to be done. I decided to sit these assemblies aside as is to cure good before I add the braces. help keep things square. The piece in the middle is the horizontal. on it you see a tichyplatform piece (3001) I added only one and the end beams. again to allow cure time before moving forward This way it won't fall out of square as stuff is added. I use MEK which if still fresh will resolve easier than letting it sit. Last there are a couple of flat stock cut into rectangle. those will be fashioned into the mast brackets. Next week will see this really take shape. as the brackets will be done and added. It will be Sort of assembled so it stands, cross bracing on both the sides and front and back will be started. maybe even lights added to the heads. Horizontal piece will get the rest of the cat walk and maybe some railings.

The next part.
IMG_0670.JPG

So the vertical components were joined to the horizontal. Used my builders square to get it angled right. The rest of the catwalk was added. The first part of the signal mast brackets were added. They consist of a sandwich of .10 x 250. a .20 x 250 and a .10 x 250/. strip plastic. The bottom .10 piece goes full depth of the I beam flange. the .20 takes up the thickness of the flange on the I beam. and the other .10 only goes over the flange to the depth of the web. Another bracket piece the same length as the bottom .10 will go on the top of the I beam. The masts are 3/32 tube cut down to 12 feet. The three sticks just below the tape.

Not much has been done past putting the masts on and the railings, adding a ladder, and a base. Waiting on LEDs to come in to finish the hard part. It got a coat of paint too

Back