Can motor for Mantua Steamers?

JIMA

I have been out of the hobby for almost 20 years and I have a small fleet of Mantua steamers that include some Pacifics, a Consolidation, a Shifter and a Prairie. Back twenty years ago there was a drop in can motor that was available for these engines. I had purchased a couple and put them in my Shifter and Consolidation. But these do not seem to still be around. Do you guys know of any that might be on the market now?

Thanks
Jim

Used to be a company that offered the "Helix Humper" can motor, some with the wormfly, a flywheel/worm gear combination for the Mantua steamers. Unfortunatly they are gone now, but the motors turn up on Ebay and at shows. My wife's Chessie System 4-6-2 needs one of these right now. I am looking but no luck so far. Mike the Aspie

Northwest Shortlines can help you out. it may not be a drop in motor, but they have what you need.

But act fast, NWSL is closing up in August of this year as the owner is retiring. Hopefully someone will step in and purchase the company as they are a boon to the repower folks and especially the brass guys. But do not count on it staying in business either. Mike the Aspie

I have been out of the hobby for almost 20 years and I have a small fleet of Mantua steamers that include some Pacifics, a Consolidation, a Shifter and a Prairie. Back twenty years ago there was a drop in can motor that was available for these engines. I had purchased a couple and put them in my Shifter and Consolidation. But these do not seem to still be around. Do you guys know of any that might be on the market now?

Thanks
Jim
Yes, the Canon 20mm coreless motors were great for remotoring the Mantua Pacifics and Mikados. Sadly, they were discontinued years ago. However, I thought I saw an ad somewhere for them. You might want to check on ebay. Most of the flat-sided can motors will work. Check with NWSL. Not sure about motors for your smaller engines. You will probably also need to find the old gear boxes that fit over the chassis of those locos, as most of the later Mantua and Tyco versions use direct drive, open-frame motors. Again, ebay may be the best place to check. The late Harold Mellor also made photo etched gear boxes, but, alas, he's been gone for a long time. Best of luck with this.

Back