California Model Company structures?

I bought this kit when I got out of the Air Force back in '66 and never got around to building it. I have another kit by California Models, it's cardboard also. Has any one ever built one of these kits? Honestly, the cardboard sides appear to be bowed and the plastic windows look to large. I've had the kit for almost 60 years now, and I probably will not start if right away...Just curious if anyone has any pictures of a completed cardboard building. If I do build the kit; I will more than likely replace the cardboard for sheets of basswood

Attachments

• s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l960a.png
    s-l960a.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I found some basswood siding in my inventory. I have enough for the complete station...didn't realize how many windows and doors this kit has. I haven't glazed the windows yet, or decided on a color; but I did manage to break off a piece of the lower right hand side....Jury is still out on whether of not I will build this kit or not. They are almost giving these Suydam kits away on eBay. A lot of work involved to complete this; don't know if it will worth the time...I did buy it brand new many years ago; so something caught my eye

Attachments

• IMG_2588B.jpg
    IMG_2588B.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 8
I bought this kit when I got out of the Air Force back in '66 and never got around to building it. I have another kit by California Models, it's cardboard also. Has any one ever built one of these kits? Honestly, the cardboard sides appear to be bowed and the plastic windows look to large. I've had the kit for almost 60 years now, and I probably will not start if right away...Just curious if anyone has any pictures of a completed cardboard building. If I do build the kit; I will more than likely replace the cardboard for sheets of basswood
OK, that's just to cool that you've had the kit for almost 60 years! Not much help from me, but I think you should definitely build the kit. It would be fun to see it completed after all these years.

OK, that's just to cool that you've had the kit for almost 60 years! Not much help from me, but I think you should definitely build the kit. It would be fun to see it completed after all these years.
I started with the basswood section is the photo. I stained it Driftwood and then wanted a two-tone paint of yellow and brown. The stain was too dark and the paint was to light. It covered up the scribed wood and nail holes. I will cut another piece; but this time I will not apply stain. This kit has a lot of cardboard sides and I am not going to cut them ALL out first. I have to start with something I like, I threw away the basswood piece in the photo; I was not happy at all. To save time, I will cut out a piece without so many windows and doors

I have collected kits for over 60 years. Some I will never build, I am just trying this one out to see what has changed over the years. The cardboard sides are all within a tolerance of 0.125 of an inch in width (this is barely acceptable in my book); plus by adding additional required inserts bring the tolerance to 0.250 of and inch. This is not fun...I thought it would be; but I am slowly loosing interest...I'm 80 and here is my current inventory, the "yellow boxes" are on the other side of the shelves...Model Railroading is suppose to be fun said someone named Kalmbach

Attachments

• inventory1.JPG
    inventory1.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 13
I've had the SS Ltd Jennings Lumber Co. for many years. I really wanted to build that kit; but the required hundreds of bents put a damper to that...I don't have the patience for that anymore, maybe I will start that before I turn 90. I was on a Southern California TV show called Engineer Bill back in '57. You would be sent a HO freight car to build (they were pretty tough back in the fifties) and then you would appear on is hour show. Not my best work by any means; but it stayed on the track when he displayed it. I received many HO items from the show, including a Dyna Models Mrs. O'Malley's Place, and I still have that to build one day

Attachments

• Jenning's Lumber 1117.jpg
    Jenning's Lumber 1117.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 6
Well, the driftwood stain is too dark and I missed the roof angles on the back...but this is the easy part. The front has compound angles and protrusions, so I will have to be more careful. Is the color too loud for a combination station...(I'm thinking so)? Lot on my plate right now, Joan is having complete knee surgery tomorrow; and I have never cooked a complete meal in my life...I can feed Carly our dog; but after that...

Attachments

• IMG_2590a.jpg
    IMG_2590a.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi John,

I built several of the yellow box kits, the one I remember the best is the coal tower. Was not cardboard, however. The kit looked great when constructed buy many parts were delicate, mainly the steps and handrail. I did have a cardboard Feed Mill kit, not sure if it was the same company, but that one is on my current layout.

I use cardboard on lots of my scratch builds and usually reinforce it with scale 4 x 6 or other scraps, to keep the walls from warping.

Dave LASM

Back