Caboose identification

I picked up this caboose yesterday at a San Diego train store yesterday. I haven't found much information about it on eBay or on Google.

Attachments

• 20240106_084425.jpg
    20240106_084425.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240106_084610.jpg
    20240106_084610.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 28
It looks similar to a caboose I photographed in Rhyolite, Nevada several years ago:

lasl3303.jpg

I'm not a caboose or early railroad equipment expert-- But from my very basic unofficial research, I believe this is a NCS (Non-Common Standard) caboose built in 1903 by Pullman for the Los Angeles & Salt Lake RR. The LA&SL was a subsidiary of the UP until its integration with that line in 1921. These were followed by the "standard" CA class of wood cabooses around 1905, which was an early attempt from SP to develop a standardized caboose design. From what I can find, the CA and subsequent CA-1 classes were somewhat similar to this design, but with many variations over the years including window placement and number of windows (plus many had windows blocked out in later years), stovepipe placement, underframe construction, and so on.

The box end labeling on yours suggests CB-5 might be a class of caboose design that followed the CA design. Unfortunately, a quick search online doesn't seem to reveal anything along those lines. Hopefully someone with some more caboose data can weigh in here.

Back