C415 project

hmmm.

The closest I have is an RSO but the window is incorrect.

I'll have a look at the GP's and see if anything matches

Taking a trip to the LHS tomorrow good time to see whats available.

It looks like the unit is still using the RS cab but they just changed the long hood. I don't know much about these units but they probably put an EMD prime mover in there and there for had to change the long hood. It still has the Alco trucks and chassis, so I'm sure it had to be something like that. You can also see right behind the cab where they built the long hood up to meet up with the RS cab.

Your right on the EMD. Only info I have is 9/50 when it was built and repowered with an EMD. No year was given for the repower.

Added:

I think the RS-3 #456 has an RSO hood. The common feature is the 2 exhaust ports. I matched up one of my dummy RSO's with the picture and it "looks" the same.
should be a good representation atleast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right on the EMD. Only info I have is 9/50 when it was built and repowered with an EMD. No year was given for the repower.

Added:

I think the RS-3 #456 has an RSO hood. The common feature is the 2 exhaust ports. I matched up one of my dummy RSO's with the picture and it "looks" the same.
should be a good representation atleast.

What is an RSO hood? Those two exhaust stacks are the same as on a GP9.

The RSO is what my dummy unit has on the bottom.

Doing more research I found where #456 is also listed as an RS-2M.

Here is a pic of a GP9 that looks like #456.

picture.php
[/IMG]

I have identified my dummy unit that has RSO on the bottom.
It is an AHM GP-18.
I have run across a listing for RSO but at the moment can't find it.

So for conversion how does a GP-18 or GP9 sound for a hood exchange?

Or just go with the standard RS-3 before repower?

As soon as I get my camera ready i can start taking photo's.

C-415

I would give the hood swap a try.:D If you have the tools and the hood is the same width on the RS and GP.:cool:

From what I can see the GP-18 hood is the same width but the hood "nose" lenght is a tad bit longer. It isn't flat like the RS-3 (not sure of the correct terms for the anatamy) but comes to a point.

C-415

The long hood on the GP should come to a point.Line up the point where the OLD RS end was.measure carefully the RS hood and cut the GP hood the same but leave a little extra on the GP hood so you can sand or file for a close fit on the RS walkway/frame.;):D:eek:

C-415

I'm trying to post a pic.Hope this helps:D Us rock Island fans/freeks have to stick togather

I think I would swap the hood out also. I'm pretty sure that proto engine is using a GP9 long hood.

As far as that RSO thing....If it's on the bottom of the engine it's probably some manufacturers marks. Never heard of an RSO hood.

I think in the end if you're up to the hood swap you will be much happier in the end with the unit.

I went to LHS today tried to get a GP18. not in production any more.
The guy I talked to new someone that did this very same project. He thought either a gp18 or gp9 will work.
Unfortunatly dummy units are/have been discontinued so I'll have to keep my eye open on e-bay for something real cheap.

Also
The C415 models I have can not be re-powered so a dummy unit will be made for #423. Easy job. renumber and pull internal's out...

The RS-3 will need kit bashing to make the hand rails and I'll look for a gp-9 to hack on.

A little update.

I tried to get some parts for the C415. So far no luck. I'll be converting this unit to a non powered unit. (although, I am thinking of wiring lights).

This project has been put on hold for now as I started a lay out. 4x8 with 3x8 in an L pattern.

I'll upate from time to time as I get parts or do some work.

I started a RI C415 using the Mehano (IHC) body and deck, Proto2000 Alco trucks and Atlas RS3 end steps/coupler plates. The handrails were removed in favour of Precision scale Brass handrail stanchions.

I'm afraid that's as far as it sits so far.

Update 4/6/10

I have finished the work on the C415 which was #415
This unit is now non powered as the motor burnt when I 1st recieved it.

1. The new number is 423
2. scratch built hand rails
3. added kadee couplers
4. removed motor, wires and gears
5. cleaned wheels and trucks

I still need to weather the unit, but I did use a grimy black for the vents and exhaust.

I started work on the RS-3.
I have not found a cheap gp7/9 shell to use for the kitbash. MY LHS "recommends" I but a new geep, use the shell and have a powered unit for back up...

1. cleaned wheels and contact points. painted shell Rock Island Maroon.

Thats pretty much it for now.

Update:
Received the GP7 shell today. I won't use it as there is a 1mm difference in width.
I'm keeping an eye on ebay for a gp18 or gp9 shell.
LHS has 3 gp30 shells...

Which brand was your GP7 shell?

I have a P2K ATSF GP18 shell that is missing all the lift rings (but I may still have all the grabs) and it still has all of the fans (however, it's non-dynamic, and has 4 small fans so it may or may not be appropriate for your prototype).

Back