C&O Theme Layout

jlg759

Hello all I am getting ready to build a new layout. The area I have to model in will be 12foot x 16 foot l shaped layout. I am planning on making the layout 30 inches wide. I want to model a mountainous area where the C&O would run and have coal hauling as a primary source of revenue. Can anyone suggest what I might be able to fit in that space or some things I may wish to avoid. I may add a staging yard as well for off line stuff and also considering going around the main layout twice at different levels to add distance. Let me know.

Thanks
Joe

Welcome, Joe! (I see this is your first post, even tho you joined in march...)

... The area I have to model in will be 12foot x 16 foot l shaped layout. I am planning on making the layout 30 inches wide. ...

12'x16' sounds like a fairly decent size to me! I'm assuming that's a lower-case "L" in your description, and you're planning to use 30"-wide benchwork?

Is it the C&O in particular that you are interested in, or any Appalachian coal hauler? There's also the B&O, N&W, L&N, and the Clinchfield - plus a few others which I can't quite remember.

For starters, I'd say buy or borrow a few books about the railroad you want to model, and study the photos real closely - that's the best way to figure out what to include/exclude.

I also recommend the Space Mouse Beginner's Guide to Layout Design.

(I'd say more but I have to rush my daughter to a softball game, already running late...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

You might want to consider an end user for this coal. May I suggest a coal burning electrical generating facility. The power plant cound be next to medium size yard. The loaded cars would come from staging to the yard and then move onto the power plant. Switching the generating plant would be the first order of business with the empties going back to the yard and then onto staging.

Larry

Back