Buying on Ebay.

N

NP2626

I don't buy a lot of stuff there; but, because most rolling stock manufacturers no longer supply kits to the market and that is what I want, Ebay has quite a few kits from most of the manufacturers that did sell their products as kits. I also sell stuff on Ebay and feel that it is obvious that my ideas about how the stuff I sell should be represented as, is much different than the average Ebay seller thinks and does. Recently I purchased three tank cars, two chemical tank cars and a petroleum products tank car. All three tank cars where Blue Box Athearn products and all three where advertised as Brand new! One was even assembled. How long ago was it that Athearn stopped producing kits and went to all RTR stuff? It's my contention that this would be 10 to 15 years ago! Therefore, Athearn Blue Box Kits can no longer be considered new, unassembled, yes; but, new, NO way in HECK! I know the truth and I'm guessing most people buying these kits, know they are not new! There not being new probably has no bearing on the prices they sell for.

So, my question is this: why do people misrepresent their wares like this and what do you think about how they advertise their stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the buyer beware! Misrepresentation of wares has been going on since ancient history. I choose not to buy from EBay because I want the product in my hands before I fork over my money.

Willie

Yes, I'm fully aware of Buyer Beware! I have 329 transactions on Ebay and in all of those, I have really only been stung once. Yes, these guys are: In my words, misrepresenting their wares. However, I know what it is they're selling; so, I have no misconceptions about what the products are. Buying on Ebay is certainly a choice you can pass on Willie, your answer however really wasn't germane to my questions.

The stuff you are getting that is untouched and unassembled is what is called "NOS" in other hobbies. Otherwise known as New Old Stock. If it is being sold by a hobby shop or wholesaler, it can certainly be "new", even if it's 20 or more years old.
Once it is purchased by an end consumer, it is then considered used, or pre-owned.
The one you got that was advertised as new, that was assembled, was not new in any way.

You have to do some interpretation when it comes to Ebay. One of the things I've noticed is that when an ad says "Not tested" when referring to locomotives is that it probably doesn't work. I've purchased a few locomotives that way, fully expecting this. For the most part, they actually did work or needed a little bit of work to get them running. So I haven't been bitten that way. I did purchase a brass locomotive that had been dropped. I took a good look at the photos and decided to go for it anyway. Turns out, it was more than I could handle. My bad.

One thing I've also noticed is that there are people that sell on Ebay, not knowing what they are selling. A while back, I was interested in a locomotive that didn't quite look right, but the price could've made it worthwhile. I contacted the seller, who quickly responded to my questions and posted more photos. She told me the locomotive wasn't bent. From the photos, she was correct. It wasn't bent, it was twisted. Lesson here is to ask the right questions and carefully examine the photos.

If we're going to compare Apples with Apples, then buying online from wherever has it's risks, re misrepresentation. I would say I and the wife have had better results overall from ebay than other sites. EBay's claim system is better than most outside ebay. EBay's terminology for determining new or used is a little different to others. They use a number scale if you notice, but if something is rated as new, it is supposed to be in it's original sealed, unopened box/packaging. When it was originally made or went on sale isn't really a concern. It's one of the things that make selling model trains a bit difficult to adhere to. How can you effectively show photos of your item that is actually new, never been on the rails, without opening the box, taking it out and displaying it from several angles. Technically by eBay's standard, it is now used, or the proof that it is new, is gone, but I don't think anybody objects. We want to examine the item as best we can.

I recently purchased 8gb of computer ram, in two 4gb pieces. When it arrived, I had 8gb all right-- in 4 2gb pieces. When you only have two slots for it, that doesn't work very well. The seller edited the sale to indicate this, but I sure don't remember reading that in the description.
So, there are liars, and there are damned liars.

I very seldom buy anything from ebay. One thing I do look at is the sellers rating if I do buy something. I see so much "junk" that is really over priced also. Good entertainment. Many items I see are also being sold at full retail and can be had from internet retailers at a discount. If I am looking for certain items that I con't find from internet retailers I will look on ebay as a last resort. I did manage to get a few good deals when I was looking for an F unit for my North Coast Limited. I am very selective though. I have never tried to sell anything on ebay.

I recently purchased 8gb of computer ram, in two 4gb pieces. When it arrived, I had 8gb all right-- in 4 2gb pieces. When you only have two slots for it, that doesn't work very well. The seller edited the sale to indicate this, but I sure don't remember reading that in the description.
So, there are liars, and there are damned liars.

Did you go back to the original listing via your purchase history?

Speaking of online purchase what about the groups on Yahoo or something like that. Has anyone had bad luck or all good luck with these? I've has some mixed results. As far as the bad luck it's nothing I wasn't able to fix like a loco that didn't work or a kit missing parts that I was able to get from the original manufacture. The more I purchased these the more I realized I'm almost better off with a purchase from a valued hobby shop and not some unknown person online. Mostly the folks I run into in this hobby seem to be good people and don't try to take advantage of each other.

Dave

Speaking of online purchase what about the groups on Yahoo or something like that. Has anyone had bad luck or all good luck with these? I've has some mixed results. As far as the bad luck it's nothing I wasn't able to fix like a loco that didn't work or a kit missing parts that I was able to get from the original manufacture. The more I purchased these the more I realized I'm almost better off with a purchase from a valued hobby shop and not some unknown person online. Mostly the folks I run into in this hobby seem to be good people and don't try to take advantage of each other.

Dave
I have been buying and selling on Facebook for a couple of years, now. Only a couple of minor issues that were relatively easy to solve. I just make sure I pay for goods and services through Paypal, and they'll step in to a dispute if something isn't as described.

Terry is correct and using PayPal is a great way to purchase online. I've had them get money back from a sale one time that was not correct. The best thing you can do is be smart. Know what you are buying and what can be wrong with it to start. If you can work with the worst case you will be ok. I had a Bachmann I purchased and I had to return to them and they replaced it because it was so old but did take care of me.

I like to keep thinking that all the folks I deal with in the hobby are good and not out to take advantage. There are some so be smart.

Dave

For the important things, the ones where you finally find something, it costs a few dear dollars, and it almost sounds like a miracle you finally are able to purchase it, it might be prudent to use a few bits of storage in your 'My Pictures" library and do a "screen capture" of the page whose listing you use to make your purchasing/bidding decision. Then, if the seller tries to tell you that he had edited the information, you send him a jpeg of the image file screen capture with a 'shrug' smiley as your only added comment. Or the wink one. CC the nice folks at eBay who settle disputes.

;)

It sort of looks like my Ebaying days might be over! As of right now, I am unable to print shipping labels from Ebay. When I get to where I should be able to "PRINT" the label, the program only allows me to "SAVE" it. Where it gets saved to is anybodies guess. Attempting to find help for my problem at Ebay is next to impossible! I sort of lack any real interest in arriving at a solution to this problem. As time goes on and Confusers get more and more difficult to understand, I find myself pulling away from the technology!

So, my question is this: why do people misrepresent their wares like this and what do you think about how they advertise their stuff?
My guess is that there are two reasons.
1. They are purposely overselling their product assuming the purchaser will be ignorant.
Or
2. They themselves are clueless as to what the proper terms to use are. Lazy Americans are becoming more and more of the mind set that they can use the language in any way they want rather than proper terminology and grammar. Rather than researching and learning something they just fling whatever term they know in there. My guess is since it hadn't been "run" on a train to them it was new.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am rather particular about what I will purchase off EvilBay. When something is brand new from an eBay store, that's one thing. When something is used, that's something else. I do not buy very much used merchandise from there. I buy virtually nothing train related from there.
I did buy two items off the bay last night, though.
I bought a Futaba SkySport 4 4 channel RC aircraft transmitter. The seller only had the transmitter, manual, and trainer cord (a method to link two compatible transmitters together to enable a student to fly but allow the instructor to instantly assume control when necessary). No receiver, batteries, or servos. That is OK, because I plan to install a module to change the output frequency from the 72mhz band frequency it's on now to a 2.4ghz frequency hopping system. Total cost plus shipping $31.61, couldn't let that go by!
I also bought a Futaba FP-T6VA SkySport 6 channel transmitter for the outlandishly expensive price of $24.60 shipped! It will be converted as well. I have already converted a SkySport 6 I've had for years, and I bought a 6 channel Futaba radio from a member of an RC forum I belong to. Paid $20 for that one. That will also be converted.
Problem: I now have one more transmitter than airplanes. Looks like I'll have to get another plane! ;)

So, Flyboy2610, do you feel there is a difference between buying Radio Control items and Model Railroad items on Ebay? Having spent 40+ years in the Radio Control airplane hobby, I can't see there being any difference, what so ever. In fact I have 3 2.4 Ghz FHSS Airtronics Receivers and other equipment on sale at Ebay right now. The only difference I see in the two hobbies is that the R/C stuff seems to sell better and demands a higher prices!

By the way, did you know that most modern Radio Control transmitters can store from 6-10 and up to 50 airplanes in their memories. So, having a transmitter for every airplane is no longer needed and in fact the single transmitter for every airplane became obsolete around 20 years ago. Between my two transmitters I could fly around 30 different airplanes. The R/C hobby is going through changes similarly to what the Model Railroad hobby is doing. It is; or, was a great hobby! I personally do not care for the changes which have occurred and am therefore getting out and selling off my stuff! Ebay is a very good way to get rid of this type of stuff!

I was able to determine fix to my printing problem and am back into full swing with selling stuff on Ebay. I also use Paypal to pay for the stuff I buy on Ebay. It is pretty much fool proof!

It sort of looks like my Ebaying days might be over! As of right now, I am unable to print shipping labels from Ebay. When I get to where I should be able to "PRINT" the label, the program only allows me to "SAVE" it. Where it gets saved to is anybodies guess. Attempting to find help for my problem at Ebay is next to impossible! I sort of lack any real interest in arriving at a solution to this problem. As time goes on and Confusers get more and more difficult to understand, I find myself pulling away from the technology!

I've purchased about 50% of my locos and rolling stock, plus a ton of used structures off eBay. Prices for NOS items were a bit less or about the same as the when the item was new. Used structures sold for a fraction of their new price. Most importantly, I've been able to fill out my inventory for out-of-production items thanks to eBay sellers. Once in a while I get super-deals. After dozens of transactions, I've only had one item not as described and the seller adjusted the price, though not quite as much as I would've liked. Two other sellers sent broken items, and refunded my full purchase price and allowed me to keep the item. Only one seller was a real problem, selling an item as new where it was clearly used, and used extensively. For such cases eBay often sides with the buyer, and after a brief review of your case, eBay will refund your entire purchase plus shipping and allows you to keep the item if the seller doesn't provide a pre-paid return-shipping label.

Back