Buying on Ebay.

I'm not really interested if it is collectable. If I buy on ebay, it is usually as a last resort to find a certain item that I may be looking for. Sprung trucks ? I would guess that about half of my freight equipment, old blue box cars, are equipped with sprung trucks that I picked up years ago when I had a Walthers dealership. Still have some new in the packages. I want something that I can use, not look at. Don't care if it is a collectable Lionel car.

Chet and Mark: I have some equipment so old they should be considered as collectibles. Maybe I should post them on EBay and get rich???

Greg

Chet and Mark: I have some equipment so old they should be considered as collectibles. Maybe I should post them on EBay and get rich???

Greg

Why not? If people buy Canadian Rocks on Ebay ($10 each because the guy said they were a one of and had numerous uses - no lie and no deception) then you could be the next Donald Trump :)

Point being, it is a 2 way street. Some people sell stuff (junk) deceptively while there are (it seems) people that will buy anything regardless. I know of a few people who are "addicted" to bidding for stuff. Not because it is any good, not because they want or need the stuff just for what they consider the "thrill of bidding" and the insatiable need to "WIN" - at any cost. The price is irrelevant - the win is all that matters.

I'm damn sure there are a lot of people just like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony - I am sure that some people may be addicted to the bidding. As I mentioned, for me, ebay is the last resort and I will set myself a bidding limit and rarely will approach the retail price. My most recent purchase was a Walthers dining car for my North Coast Limited train. They are apparently no longer made, but I still was able to purchase under my limit and under the full retail price. Not purchasing a lot on ebay, I have so far not been disappointed or ripped of as I will always check out the sellers feedback rating also.

If I'm bored, I will sometimes go onto ebay just for entertainment looking at all of the high price junk for sale.

I know one thing!
From looking at some of the items offered - I am listing my collection of "Pet Rocks" for sure!
Some of them may be hundreds of thousands of years old!

Chet,

I'm sure that not everyone gets ripped off and not everyone who uses ebay to sell is a rip off merchant - obviously there are some honest and credible sellers who do have integrity. If it works for people then terrific, that's good for them, no question.

If you see something on the site that you want, if it is shown and described genuinely and is a "fair price", and it turns out to be exactly as advertised, especially IF it is cheaper than else where or a hard to find product - what more could you ask for (rhetorical question)?

As has been said over and over - it is a "buyer beware" or a "buy at your risk" environment and just not one for me.

Tony, you are right, people need to do their due diligence, but not only with Ebay, but for everything.
My brick and mortar hobby shop is a real rip off. They charge $95 CDN more for a locomotive I can get for $285 CDN.
Amazon was going to charge me $350 to ship an $18 item.

The only problem with doing due diligence is that it is time consuming, but worth it. I do it late at night before bed time, it gets me in a sleeping mood....LOL

Tony - I totally understand. There are a number of retailers selling on ebay and they can't afford to get a bad report. Years ago before there were so many internet retailers for model railroading I did have to use ebay to find what I needed. I never really had a problem. I would and still refuse to bid items up over retail. Occasionally I will look at what some people are trying to sell Shinohara track and turnouts for. That was on thing that I was always searching for. I have seen some turnouts go for over double what I could get them for at MB Klein. I guess some model railroaders aren't aware of all of the resources we now have with the internet retailers.

On this and on other forums I have seen where the items the buyer received were not what was shown on ebay. At least ebay can resolve these problems, but it is a pain in the butt to go and ship items back and go searching for something else because an item was misrepresented or in some cases not even working.

As far as I am along with my layout, I am not in need of a lot of things. I am fortunate enough to have all of my track down, more locomotives and rolling stock than I need and most of the scenery done on my layout. There are also those who look and shop on ebay and actually do manage to get a bargain. More power to them. This hobby can get expensive depending on what one might be looking for, and ebay is just another source for the hobby.

Tony, you are right, people need to do their due diligence, but not only with Ebay, but for everything.
My brick and mortar hobby shop is a real rip off. They charge $95 CDN more for a locomotive I can get for $285 CDN.
Amazon was going to charge me $350 to ship an $18 item.

The only problem with doing due diligence is that it is time consuming, but worth it. I do it late at night before bed time, it gets me in a sleeping mood....LOL

Tony - I totally understand. There are a number of retailers selling on ebay and they can't afford to get a bad report. Years ago before there were so many internet retailers for model railroading I did have to use ebay to find what I needed. I never really had a problem. I would and still refuse to bid items up over retail. Occasionally I will look at what some people are trying to sell Shinohara track and turnouts for. That was on thing that I was always searching for. I have seen some turnouts go for over double what I could get them for at MB Klein. I guess some model railroaders aren't aware of all of the resources we now have with the internet retailers.

On this and on other forums I have seen where the items the buyer received were not what was shown on ebay. At least ebay can resolve these problems, but it is a pain in the butt to go and ship items back and go searching for something else because an item was misrepresented or in some cases not even working.

As far as I am along with my layout, I am not in need of a lot of things. I am fortunate enough to have all of my track down, more locomotives and rolling stock than I need and most of the scenery done on my layout. There are also those who look and shop on ebay and actually do manage to get a bargain. More power to them. This hobby can get expensive depending on what one might be looking for, and ebay is just another source for the hobby.

Your both 100% right. Getting ripped of isn't confined to ebay ... it happens every where, on the internet, tv advertising AND in brick and mortar stores. Sometimes it isn't even a matter of getting ripped of, just a matter of getting a better deal for the same item.

A little while ago I bought my Code 80 track and turnouts from Hatton's in the UK and got it all for $173 less (after currency conversion) than what Klein's sold them for. I don't recall the exact amount but say it cost me $300 US from Hatton's (including shipping) compared to $473 (US) from Klein's. Klein's wasn't trying to intentionally rip me off, just that Hutton's sold the same items for less. Hutton's was the better deal for Peco Track and Turnouts, pure and simple.
Point being, had I not looked around I could have paid $173 more than was necessary.

I think places like ebay and amazon attract a certain group of people (as sellers) who are out to do one thing, get as much as they possibly can for what it is they want to sell. As Chet said, they are oblivious to the actual market value and most likely don't care because there is also a group who are just as oblivious who are the buyers. The left hand feeding the right hand so to speak. It is those groups of people that contribute to the less than great reputation of such places and cause people to be skeptical. That makes it harder on those who are genuine, and who are being upfront and honest.

At the end of the day, whether you deal with ebay, amazon, Klein's, Hatton's or any other retailer - it is ultimately the buyers responsibility, or at least in their best interest, to look around, do research, show due diligence to ensure (as much as possible) that they do get the best deal and get what they are paying for as opposed to what the business or individual demands.

Used to be able to find great deals on eBay when I first created an account back in late 2006. Was nothing to get trains off there for cheap. Get BB locomotives and cars for dirt cheap. Now it slim and few. Can get broken stuff for parts. I have also received wrong items and as far as broken items. I still use eBay simply because I can find stuff my lhs doesn't have. My lhs can order anything for me from walthers but it takes longer than digging up items on eBay.

Justin

Back