Buying on Ebay.

Mark,

I have never bought anything off of evilbay, and never will for the precise reason you mentioned ... how products are misrepresented or blatantly lied about.

Why do people do it, misrepresent an item they have for sale in some way? Simply, to sell it.

Misrepresenting an item, a product isn't new and certainly isn't confined to places like evilbay - it has been a "marketing ploy" for decades. Take a look at insurance company commercials for example ... I haven't seen one that hasn't misrepresented itself as a result of omissions of fact pertaining to their product, facts (if advertised) that might cause a potential buyer to look elsewhere.

Evil bay is no different. People (individuals primarily I would think) will "talk up their item" as much as possible, leaving out some of the things that may make the item less attractive to a buyer or simply apply their own interpretation of an items condition, value and or worth. Some may do that out of ignorance and not knowing what it is they have, such as people selling off stuff from an "estate sale" and just wanting to get rid of it. In that case, I would think they would be likely to "under price" an item though.

At the end of the day - the seller wants to sell what they have, and will resort to anything to make that sale more viable. Some people will "slightly exaggerate" something, while others will outright lie about something and everything in between.

I agree with Willie, other than buying from a reputable company, and directly from that company, if I can't see it, feel it and take it upon payment, I wont buy it no matter how good it MAY appear to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, While I understand where you and Willie are coming from, I don't have the same opinion of Evilbay (as you guys call it). As far as having to have something in my hands before I will purchase it, living out in the boonies precludes my ability to do this. Also, I buy from places like MBKlein and other mail order house. Being as these places are out of my general neighborhood, I never get a chance to look over their products either. Obviously, you have had bad experiences with Ebay and your decision not to do business with Ebay sellers is certainly your right. Like I said previously, I've had over 320 transactions on Ebay and feel I've been truly stung only once, where I paid for something I never received.

I find most people using Ebay to be similar to myself, wanting to sell what ever it is they have to sell, get as much for it as they can and be generally honest about what it is they sell.

Mark,

Obviously, you have had bad experiences with Ebay

Nope because I have never bought anything from or through evilbay or any other similar internet setup.

You asked why people misrepresent items and I gave a reply that I thought answered that question, or gave a reason/s for it - to sell their stuff. I also added that it wasn't something that was exclusive to evilbay (ebay) so I wasn't bashing it.

I (obviously) also buy from online retailers but, only try to buy from reputable, established "real business'" who sell known new products as opposed to places where the origin and accuracy of what is being sold is, or could be, questionable.

I guess I figured that because you two used the term "Evilbay" you must have had some nasty dealings with it. My bad!

Mark -- I'm with you on this. I'm only up to 233 bay dealings. I have only been damaged ONE time with something NOT being
"up to snuff, or made right with the seller. Most of the time the prices I have paid have been much lower than retail. AND I might add that many of the items I purchased are no longer made. I will not enter a bidding war - I will place my top bid and if I do not win, then I will look elsewhere.

Mark,

Your not bad ... while some people have had success with them, and other similar sites, I have read way too many "horror or evil" stories about them.

Anyway, I was under the impression this was about misleading advertising, using your experience with the kits you got from them as an example - not ebay being good bad or indifferent.

Ebay is what it is, as well as buyer beware, knowing the value of what it is your buying makes a bunch of sense, too. I mostly buy stuff that is a "Buy it Now" sale if the price is right. If I'm going to bid on something I figure out what the top end is I'm willing to pay and let Ebay bid it up for me. If I'm out bid, it is by someone who thinks what ever it is we're bidding on, is worth more than I do.

My posting of this thread was to discuss people claiming that something is new, when it hasn't been produced in 10-15 years. However, many people do exactly that and I tend to shy away from attempting to purchase this stuff. Also, I have found of late that much of what is for sale on Ebay can be over priced, I don't pay much attention to overpriced stuff, either!

My biggest problem with online dealings was on this forum. A forum member was selling a locomotive as Like New, with photos of it from when he had first gotten it. Before he had dumped it on the floor, glued most everything back together, brush-painted some of the flaws, and burned up the electronics in it, and sent it to me in pieces.
That person is no longer a member of this forum, and has been banned from every Facebook selling group i belong to. I think he's also lost his Ebay account.

Willie, You are absolutely correct! I apologize profusely for my mistake! It was Flyboy2610 who used "Evilbay" first in this thread in post #17.

I used EBay in the past to purchase rolling stock I couldn't find in the LHS. I've had mixed results wiht what I purchased and now look at ONLY new items. Used items could potentially have a multitude of hidden defects and problems.

Here's some EBay experiences...

-Ordered a Walter's SOO Doodle Bug and the body was glued to the frame. Fixed that problem.

-Ordered a SW1500 HO switcher and it was N scale. I did get my money back.

-Ordered a 8 pack of NCE decoders for $80. Still unused after 10 years.

-Ordered a Milw Caboose and it turn out to be a cheap Tyco.

-Ordered discounted metal wheel sets.

Well, today I ordered a MR&T caboose that was a sellout. Ordered new from hobby shop.

I guess "Buyer Beware" on EBay...but there's some good deals out there!

Greg

Chet: Demo derby anyone????

I didn't miss the horn/hook couplers and some body work on the black Chevy vehicle.

Greg

Someone's put a bid on it. You can't say he's put up a deceptive ad, there's plenty of photos to look at, and it appears to be a genuine Lionel product (says BLT by Lionel on the side of the flatcar). I would class that as something a collector of those products would/could be interested in. Price might reflect true rarity.

Chet, I wouldn't buy that car, price seems a tad high to me.

I believe so. I can't believe how many items i come across that are overpriced junk. I have thrown out better items than I have seen people trying to sell.

Someone's put a bid on it. You can't say he's put up a deceptive ad, there's plenty of photos to look at, and it appears to be a genuine Lionel product (says BLT by Lionel on the side of the flatcar). I would class that as something a collector of those products would/could be interested in. Price might reflect true rarity.

The two vehicles look like they could be from Woodland Scenics, but the person who bid must have rocks in their head.

Here's one reason I don't do much on ebay.
I go into grocery stores all the time that have 99% stock of things I would never buy, but that doesn't stop me from shopping there. Why would one thing you don't want, make you not look for things you do want?

And besides Lionel HO is very collectable. Notice the sprung trucks? If this flat car was like new in box with its original Matchbox tractors on it, its listed book value is $123. mint in box is $200.

I bought 162 items on Ebay and 47 item on Amazon
Never sold anything on those sites
I had a total of one problem, a defective grass applicator and they send me a new one (the original got fixed and was given to a friend)
I would say that 75% of the stuff i buy on Ebay comes from China.
I've been very satisfied and will continue to buy from them.
Everything I bought was cheaper than any other places I could find.

Very important, you need to do your research

I believe so. I can't believe how many items i come across that are overpriced junk. I have thrown out better items than I have seen people trying to sell.

Chet,

Do you know for a fact what this Lionel flat car is actually worth? I don't and maybe would give a little chuckle if I came across it on Ebay, thinking the price was outrageous! However, if your a collector, the possibility exists that the flat car is more valuable than my limited knowledge on collectibles would allow. I have bought stuff on Ebay that was more valuable than what I paid for it and was amazed at my good luck in finding it! So, tit for tat, it also makes sense that some items would have more value than I know. I don't care about collectibles and let them slide without consideration.

Have fun!

Back