Burnout on the CL&W

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi y’all, I haven’t posted anything here in quite a while for two reasons: (1) A slew of family commitments, plus preparing the property for winter [and possible hurricanes], eroded my free time to the point where my mrr time is extremely limited; and (2) what little “real” free time I’ve had available has been devoted to finishing some scenery projects on the layout. (I had a blog about that for a while in a separate thread http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?40379-CL-amp-W-Subdivision-Scenery-Blog/page5.)

My original plan was to have the layout ready for hosting op sessions by now. ~6 weeks ago, I was ready to move a bunch of buildings that were cluttering my layout surface back to their temporary positions in an area where I planned to have a small town scene. Then I got to thinking: “Hey, I really oughta throw down the initial scenery layer now while I have all the stuff out.” Estimated delay: 1 week; actual delay: 3 weeks. Had to order some additional materials, plus I got diverted onto a few vehicle-detailing projects that lasted long after the ordered materials arrived.

As I continued working on the town scene, I figured I could actually finish it since I had most of the street and sidewalk sections already assembled. Again, I kept discovering that I needed to purchase some missing important items…several more delays. Saturday morning I was ready to reinstall the street signs, utility poles and other small details that I had stored away. I looked in the box where I thought I had put them; they weren’t there. So I pulled out all the other under-layout boxes one-by-one and searched: Nope, not in any of those either! By now the trainroom looked as if a tornado had blown thru it and I was exhausted. I figured I needed to take a break from it for the rest of the day.

This afternoon it occurred to me that I hadn’t searched in any of my boxes that are stored in the attic, so I went up there and continued my search…but no luck.

Those street signs took me several weeks’ worth of evenings to scratchbuild. I used home-printed decals which I no longer have the masters for; it could easily take another month to acquire the necessary resources and make new signs. This isn’t a mere inconvenience, it is a bitter disappointment!:( I had visions of having that town scene done for the next op session, but not anymore. Now I can’t even bear the thought of going into the trainroom, the enthusiasm is gone. I haven’t felt this dejected since the time when I learned I had to tear down my previous layout.

Yeah, I know....First-World problem! But I still felt the urgent need to vent...

Nice to see you posting again Ken. It has been a while. I'm sure a lot of folks have missed you.

I well know the feeling of having to look for something that has been put away. During out two years of renovation to the house, I can't count how many times boxes to train items have been moved and than moved again. Quite frustrating.

I had a number of instances when I couldn't find something and then ended up buying a replacement and then run across the item that has just been replaced. Lost my air brushes and searched all over for them. Gave up and bought a new one and then come across them. In the process I did manage to find a lot of detail parts that I had lost.

Don't worry about venting.

I can't count how many weekends that I had planned on doing some work on the layout just to have something come up and then not even getting to visit the train room.

Again, nice to see you back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I has a number of instances when I couldn't find something and then ended up buying a replacement and then run across the item that has just been replaced.

Eventually, that just becomes a way of life! Or how about buying something you need, such as a tool, using it so it can't returned, then discovering you already owned one? I can't count the number of times I've done that! :(

I know how it is when long delays get in the way of doing anything on the layout. I have enough Caboose contact ground throws to do the double crossover, I just don't know when I'll get time to put them in!
Hang in there, Ken! You'll get it all done eventually. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. ;)

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Chet and FB! I found at least 2 items like the ones I bought last week from MBK that I couldn't find when I needed them.

My original plan was to finish the town scene, snap some pics of it [with a DSLR instead of my cell phone], and share them on here....oh well. At this point I need to accept the scenery as it is, and get on with de-cluttering, cleaning up and prepping for another op session. I don't want all my potential guest operators to forget I exist...:rolleyes:

I feel for you Ken. If it's any consolation, there is a title for what you're experiencing, the "Move it from where it's likely to get lost, to the place where it will be safe". Only problem is it's so safe no-one can find it again.

Yeah Toot, that's exactly what happened! I had those signs and fire hydrants in a leftover recloseable pill jar, which migrated around to various bare plywood spots on my layout because I couldn't decide what box to store it in. In fact I seem to remember seeing it as recently as this past February, a few weeks before I embarked on my major scenery project. Trouble is, I have dozens of those empty pill jars sitting around, except that none of them contains the missing "treasure"...

I hate loosing stuff. I waste so much time looking for it.
-
Finished the wiring on the C40-8 loco with the Overland chassis. Put it on the track for a test run. It was running opposite of commands. A quick trip back to the work table to swap the motor connections. Back to the mainline, ran great, for about a scale mile then started to slow despite turning the throttle up. Took it back to the work bench for a quick look inside again. One of the drive shafts had split the shaft connectors on both ends. So, the loco is sidelined again while I wait for the order from NWSL for replacement parts. I thought I had some spare parts, but they were split too.

I hate loosing stuff. I waste so much time looking for it.

Yes I put stuff in little containers, the Energizer Advanced AAA battery 10 pack has a nice rectagular plastic pack with a clip shut lid, great for small bits and screws. I had one once with the coupler parts in it for an Atlas GenSet that has a gearbox that only matches it and the screws to suit, never to be seen again. Had to order new ones from Atlas, that being an adventure in itself, so figured I'd see if they had the fine scale handrails they made for them. Now that was an adventure through a maze, Found them and other detail bits as well and bought them too. They now reside in another box with a clip lid, a bit bigger one this time.

Really glad to hear that I am not alone!
LITTLE STUFF? I CANNOT FIND MY LIONEL SET FOR THE CHRISTMAS TREE! I;ll have to use the MARX or the G scale?

Glad to hear from you, KeN in MD, Looking forward to more?

... So, the loco is sidelined again while I wait for the order from NWSL for replacement parts. I thought I had some spare parts, but they were split too.

Bummer about the split shaft connectors. At least NWSL has 'em available, even if you do have to wait...

Good to see you back Ken and know how you feel. I've been waiting to start my new layout for months due to other more important commitments.

Yeah Sherrell, I'll start posting here regularly again...more frequently as soon as I get the trainroom looking presentable again. Sorry to hear about the vanishing Lionels!

YEAH, You guys are losing little stuff - I go for the larger items? LOL
How is our (should I say) ex-pilot doing? Does she miss it at all?

You are so not alone, I can't find what I'm looking for until I'm looking for something completely unrelated to what ever it was and...BANG, "oh, THERE it is"! LOL

Back