Building the Whistle Stop RR

And with a weekend's spare time, some cardboard and regular printer paper, I have made myself a round house.

94F722BE-2B94-4243-9588-03BFFB211992_zpsrqfa9lik.jpg

Just used a very basic balsa wood skeleton and cardboard for the frame, printed out bricks for the wall, nice rounded doors for doors and a basic tar roof and held it all together with glue.

C5D2B79C-6F47-4A12-AFB7-281921DE22E4_zps0k7739q6.jpg

The tracks will be extended a little bit on the inside for the shorter stalls and the roof will remain removable.

I have to keep reminding myself that the entire structure this rests on is only a "temporary" structure. I'm trying not to get too involved in decoration or scenic design, but my turn table (which will also eventually get moved) just looked silly without a roundhouse for it to service. All this really cost me to build was the ink in the printer and a little bit of balsa.

Ha, ha! Like windows? I just realized all the poor people will have to work i the dark if the power goes out. :D

The Eagle has landed!! Or at least the Eagle will soon have a place to land. The HOExplorer chapter of the Arbor Day Foundation dropped in a huge air lift of trees! (Dropped may actually be the proper term if you were to see the condition of the box when i got to my house).

4E0E7BD7-7FF4-4FAD-BCAC-ECED93DED0FD_zpshimvzis2.jpg

Gonna be a huge planting party coming real soon.

The trees are nice, but this is the first time I noticed the strip mine in the bottom. I haven't seen one of those on a layout yet. Great idea for that space!!

The trees look great. If I may suggest painting a bit of trees behind them and I think they would blend in nicely.

The trees are nice, but this is the first time I noticed the strip mine in the bottom. I haven't seen one of those on a layout yet. Great idea for that space!!

Thanks! That was the best way I could think of to disguise my access hole. Leads right into the narrative of the layout, too, with it being an old mine turned visitor center.

The trees look great. If I may suggest painting a bit of trees behind them and I think they would blend in nicely.

It's funny you should say that. I spent last night painting trees on the wall to help them blend in better. You're right, too, it really helps them to blend. :)

Got to playing around with PDF's and my regular old Inkjet printer and cam up with a nice backdrop for one section of my layout.

Before:
D1070259-5E95-450A-9519-155468759147_zpsbpa4hnjk.jpg

After:
78F00BA9-1CD4-4283-86DC-9E2B94970B16_zpsudhnc5ql.jpg

Also painted some trees on the background (on the other side of the wall) to help Jim's trees blend in. I won't call myself Bob Ross or anything, but one I get the "real" tree planted, they will just be in the background anyway as blender. I even got a few in behind the trees I planted the other day.
CCAD483F-D80D-4515-8543-ADFC29796C5C_zpshfg2bwr5.jpg

Now I just need to get the store to get some more glue for holding trees in place.

My layout really has a very eclectic mix of styles, doesn't it?

Its your layout , you can style it any way you want !!!! That printed backdrop looks perfect with the existing scenery and you painted trees really populate the forest . Looks really good.

Back