Building the Whistle Stop RR

KB02

After realizing that I have started about a dozen threads on different construction projects on my layout, I figured it was time to consolidate and have one thread as the layout is starting to get bigger and the "grand idea" is actually starting to take shape. So I hereby present the steps that have lead up to where I am now in building the Whistle Stop Railroad.

It all started when my wife and I were able to buy a house. One of my "Must Haves" for a house was somewhere to set up a layout. This house has a huge basement that the previous owners had built a bar in. There was a great space right in front of the bar that I laid claim to right away for my layout space. It started as a regular 4x8, and that I decided to expand:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...4150-The-weekend-expansion-project&highlight=

Added a couple of bridges:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?36173-The-new-bridge&highlight=

Built a mountain (still an ongoing project... as is the whole thing... always...):
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ding-a-Mountain-Lets-see-who-s-on!&highlight=

My Wife decided to name the Bar "The Whistle Stop" and suggested that we make it a railroad themed bar. That got my brain to ticking...
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?36516-Too-Ambitious&highlight=
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?36260-Construction&highlight=

Laid the first tracks INTO the bar:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?36300-Adding-quot-The-Yard-quot&highlight=
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?36842-Little-Changes&highlight=

Added a Station for passengers to get on and off at:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ratch-Building-a-Passenger-Station&highlight=

Cut a second whole in the wall and continued the invasion:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...nvasion-continues-need-suggestions&highlight=

And that brings me to where I am today.
FullSizeRender_zps4b6c4fa2.jpg

I pulled out the art supplies and drew up an artist concept of the theory I am working on for the bar itself. (not sure why it's sideways... sorry...)
FullSizeRender_zps11b86edc.jpg

Now I have to bridge the bar. I scoured store in three different local counties the other day looking for brass tubing to build my Bar-Bridge with and finally found some in a place I thought would never have them just down the street from my house. Go figure, right? Anyway, that will be the next stage/weekend project. Pics to come...

Well, I figure that an arch can be used for just about anything - like holding an aging barrel or kegs and what not.

Been making some progress on my bridge. It's a little more labor intensive than I expected. At least my solder joints are getting better as I go along. I'll post some pics later.

Alright, spent most of my spare time this weekend working on the bar bridge. Started with the brass tubing.
FullSizeRender_zpsac13d3df.jpg

Cut the uprights and cross braces and filed the ends to fit against the tubes (That took FOREVER!)
FullSizeRender_zpsd411c4cf.jpg

Set main beams to the proper length (4 feet), and soldered the uprights into place.
FullSizeRender_zpsa4b9b235.jpg

And one side done.
FullSizeRender_zpse01f702f.jpg

The other side is also done except for the cross bracing which I still have to cut and file into shape. That will take most of the rest of the week. :rolleyes: Then I will have to connect the two sides and figure out the support structure. Still trying to go with the alcohol theme, so I was thinking of trying to make some a couple of distillers or something along that line, to hold the bridge up.

This is the first time I have seen a bridge built like this, looks strong, won't fall apart if it gets bumped!! Nice job!

Yeah, It should be strong enough, that's for sure!

Today was a sick day. Picked up a nasty stomach bug, so instead of going to work, I hung out near my own bathroom. BUT, while I was home with nothing much to do, I worked on the bridge. Got the cross braces finished and soldered in place and then I got the two side connected and now I have a bridge. Well, kind of... I still need to put the actual road deck supports in place, but I have a structure I can look at. :) I also did some scenic work on the approach to the bridge tonight, too. Photobucket is not in the mood to work swiftly tonight, so I'll try to post pictures in the morning.

And with a road deck installed, the bridge is complete!
FullSizeRender_zps5754d279.jpg

The plaster work on the corner is done as well.
FullSizeRender_zps4db2cb26.jpg

And combined:
FullSizeRender_zpsfda35b32.jpg

The side board leading to the bridge will be a retaining wall when I get it done. And I'll finish off that hole with more retaining wall once I get some more wood to do it.

The next step will be finishing off the cabinets themselves. I have a four year old. In eight years I envision having a small issue having a "Bar" in my basement if I don't have locking cabinets down there, too. ;)

Now that I look at these pictures... I think I will simply clean up/polish the bridge as is and leave it brass. I like it. What would be the best way to seal it? I have some regular automotive clear coat paint I could spray on it.

I second the polished brass idea. I'm not sure how you would blend in the retaining wall to make the brass stick out though.

BTW- Where are you? My mom grew up in Richford.

Picked up some ballast and ground cover at the train show and tried my hand at ballasting.
FullSizeRender_zpse7386fd7.jpg

Man, ballasting turnouts is a pain in the butt!

Did some painting on the yard area, too, in prep for ground and balancing.
FullSizeRender_zpsf32738b4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I need some opinions. I have been racking my brain trying to find the perfect way to support the bridge over the bar and I have come down to two finalists. I think I'm going to do wooden keg/barrels, BUT, which way should they be mounted?

Do you prefer the one on the right or the left?

bridge1_zpscu92ysb2.jpg

First section of track converted to DCC and two locos converted as well. Mostly successful. My Athern GP38-2 is being picking about stuffing everything into the shell, but I think I've figured it out.

Finally got off my lazy butt and got some cabinetry work done on the bar:

FullSizeRender_zps0a1e91ca.jpg

I'm kind of happy with the way the arches came out. I had planned to paint them grey with black (or really dark grey) tunnels, but after getting it all in place, the brown on brown just looked better.

Too bad no one will see them once I get the brass bridge in place.
FullSizeRender_zpsc71a96f1.jpg

The white things are round foam that I am creating barrels/kegs out of. once I got the shape right, I covered them with plaster to seal them up a bit. Now they need to get a final fit and paint.

Got my barrels, basically, done to hold up the bridge.
FullSizeRender_zpse09f91bf.jpg

And bridge in place with bottle in the background.
FullSizeRender_zps8609c359.jpg

You can also see the east bound laid below the bridge. I'm not going to ballast either track as they cross the bar. Just to keep it a little bit cleaner looking.
The bridge is actually down at a sand blaster's place for a bit of a clean up. After that it will be painted clear just to seal it up. Should look great!

Been making some progress on the scenery side of things. I am getting better at laying ballast. And I have been watching videos and reading posts on ground cover and figured I would give this corner a go.

FullSizeRender_zps0eab35f0.jpg

There is going to be another tree sprouting up here on this hill, but I needed the ground cover to dry before I glued it in place.
FullSizeRender_zps0b2bfa3d.jpg

Threw a couple of cars on the track to see how they looked.
FullSizeRender_zps52b6d248.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsf306965b.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps464db2f2.jpg

Actually got some wiring done, too, so I can run the locos on the rest of the layout with the DCC signal. Found a few bugs to iron out, but I was having fun with my son this morning running trains. He like to stand inside the mountain I built and watch the trains come though the tunnels from underneath.

The next step for this corner will be to put up my fascia board. That should help clean up the look of the rough edges.

Fun times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the bridge blasted and cleaned up, then sealed with clear coat. Came out more of a matte finish than I really wanted, but I think it still looks good.

Trains above and below:
IMG_1416_zps0d44368d.jpg

The Whistle Stop RR track laying crew has been hard at work extending the rails and beginning the long traverse around the room.

FullSizeRender_zpsf161c78b.jpg

The bench/shelf work has been going along nicely. I think I may have just enough track to get to this one end of the room and turn around. That's the plan for now, anyway. It will be nice to have a loop again and not have to back trains up all the time. When the majority of your rolling stock still has horn hook couplers, backing up is not the most fun exercise.

And I fina;y have a turn around!!! YAY!! Now I can stop backing trains up all the time!

FullSizeRender_zps5e06534d.jpg

It's not the prettiest, but it's a temporary structure until I can save up more money to finish going around the room.

FullSizeRender_zps71cd8a4e.jpg

And a panorama of one side of the room (You can see why I posted a question about lighting):
IMG_1511_zpsa7f4a820.jpg

Back