Building the Whistle Stop RR

Once I get a camera small enough to fit through the tunnels 'll try to shot a video of a full run.

KB02,

Have just caught up with this layout/thread and really like what are doing and your brass bridge is phenomenal - great job on that in particularly!

I liked your comment regarding ballasting, but it isn't that hard to do if you have a little patience, and you obviously do have that. If you want any tips then I am more than happy to give you some that might make doing the ballasting a little more fun and quicker.

Anyway, I do like what you have done and look forward to the video when it comes out.

Thanks, Tony and logandsawman. It's always great to get some feed back.

I actually did some timing runs tonight and it takes a full 5 minutes plus to do a complete run of the entire rail system (at a nominal speed). 3 minutes for just the main line loop. I figure that's not too bad for what it is. Still more track to be laid, but that may end up being next winter's project when it's too cold to go outside.

There are some adjustments I need to make to the new shelf portion and I need to run wiring to it (yes, right now trains can get as far away from a power drop as 25 feet and still run on DCC), but it's nice to be able to run trains. I've got to get back into my DCC programming and try to get some consistency in my speed steps, though. One train running at speed step 15 (out of 28) shouldn't be going the same speed as another training on speed step 4. :rolleyes: And I have a couple of turnouts that are still giving me shorting issues that I have to figure out. It's always something, huh? ;)

Good luck on the electric side of things and hope you get that sorted out, especially the shorting issue. I don't know if I have missed something but a 5 minute run, even a 3 minute run, is a good once around time. Your layout is obviously larger than what it appears in the pictures.

Good luck on the electric side of things and hope you get that sorted out, especially the shorting issue. I don't know if I have missed something but a 5 minute run, even a 3 minute run, is a good once around time. Your layout is obviously larger than what it appears in the pictures.

Well, that's because I haven't posted a picture of the other side of the wall in a while:
FullSizeRender_zpse5421eb0.jpg

Now that brings it all into into perspective, thanks! Really like the upper and lower level tracks and the bridges - will be good to watch as the scenery goes in for that.

I'm feeling very scattered right now on my layout. I've got so much going on that I don't really know what to work on next. So many plans, ideas and lack of money... :rolleyes:

I went back to the front side the other night. I think this is where I need to concentrate for a bit. The new extension can wait a little while... even though I already have a few plans that I want to do... (YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN?!?!?) Anyway, back to the front.

Got some cliff face creation done:
FullSizeRender_zpsa2a591cc.jpg

(You'll notce it is pink in the previous picture.)

I'm using a drywall plaster that starts out pink and turns white when it dries. I grabbed it by accident at the store. It still works, though it takes forever to dry when lad on thick. Once I use this up, I'll have to get some real Plaster of Paris for the rest of the layout.

Anyway, I went back to the cliff to add in some more "rock" :
FullSizeRender_zpsd4b434f6.jpg

The section in between the pink is where the waterfall will eventually be. I've got to so some Stone work around my tunnel exits, too, so obviously I've got a lot of work to do.

I feel the same way about being scattered all over, but that's what keeps me going.
Working on my cliffs, wiring, tracks, buildings and scenery the same day, about 20 minutes each.

One step at the time
Nice work

Time for some updates.

I figured I finally had to get off my duff and work on this corner. It was, basically, the last corner that didn't have some kind of scenery work done on it.
FullSizeRender_zps9fd84df6.jpg

Started by taping off the track and adding a tunnel (interior is ALREADY painted this time... I AM learning.)
FullSizeRender_zps9119a88d.jpg

Then I added some screening to build the mountain structure:
FullSizeRender_zps3cd2f6c3.jpg

I screwed up and had forgotten that I should have used Aluminum screening and not the plastic kind, so it didn't out as strong as I would have liked. but I put thin coat of that pink plaster stuff on (mixed with some black paint) and then let it dry:
FullSizeRender_zpsddba3a13.jpg

While that was drying, I went back to my cliff face and started some work on painting it.
Started out white:
FullSizeRender_zps5d152c4f.jpg

After a wash coat of yellow and then grey:
FullSizeRender_zps86adfed2.jpg

Then a brown and finally black:
FullSizeRender_zps2afaceef.jpg

Didn't some out as great as I had hoped it would, but the scenery is not done yet, so there is still hope. The finished project is usually better than the steps in the middle of the path, right?

I've got to get some sand, dirt and crushed rock to finish off the area below the waterfall (under the bridges) as well as start in on the ground cover for the top of the mountain. I should have gotten the crushed rock first and then painted the cliff face to match, but I figure I can burn that bridge when I come to it. Most of the rocks and ledges around me are either dark brown or bluish grey, so I figure I'm not too far off.

Coming together KB02 - Although you might not be 100% happy with the way your rock face turned out, wait until you have the rest of the scenery in around it before you get too self critical - it'll be amazing how it will make everything look different ;)

Had another section that needed a rocky outcropping, so I thought I would try my hand again at the wash painting.

Started with the screening covered in plaster:
FullSizeRender_zpsb4b18189.jpg

Then I created some plaster tin-foil-rock-molds and put them in place using the pink stuff:
FullSizeRender_zpsdd103f9a.jpg

Then let it dry and viola!
FullSizeRender_zps6dd3be81.jpg

Yellow wash:
FullSizeRender_zps6c9361d2.jpg

Blue wash (most of the ledges around here have a bluish tint to them):
FullSizeRender_zps9aa83f01.jpg

Dark grey wash (darker then I wanted it, but version 1 was too light):
FullSizeRender_zps81448b89.jpg

And finally black wash:
FullSizeRender_zps04685856.jpg

I've got to get some ground cover, obviously, to finish it up, but I'm happier with how this little rock section turned out than the waterfall cliff face. Ground cover, too, I'm sure, will help that out.

KB02,

It is amazing how the addition of ground cover etc can alter the appearance of a rock formation. As it is now, it probably looks out of place, in your face sort of thing. The adding of ground covering, and other colors, will really lift it and help bring out the color of the rock and as Chet said, blend it all right in.

If I might make a suggestion, in so far as using washes go. When you look at a rock, it is not a solid. hard, single color - I know, stating the obvious here. What I have found works pretty good for me, when coloring rocks, is to dab the color on using a brush then "dab" water (using the same brush) on over the color. What I found was some of the color will stay BUT most of it will tone down and wash away leaving more of a stain than a color.

I then do the same thing with the second and subsequent colors, putting each color on BEFORE the previous color dries properly. Once I have what I think looks okay, I'll give the entire area a fairly liberal coating of matte medium. If it all looks too dark, I'll leave it for a few days, a week or however long so the color/wash "fades out to a more realistic coloring then hit it with the matte medium to seal it.

Oh, the very last thing I do is use a fairly thin black wash to get the high lights, sometimes needing four or five or more coatings to get the highlights and cracks and stuff to show up as the wash is so diluted. That is after I have sealed the rock color in though.

Hope what I have suggested doesn't come across as me being critical - that is not my intention as I think what you have done looks good. I was more thinking about getting the color to show a little more, especially as you mentioned that the rocks in your area have a bluish tinge to them.

Hope what I have suggested doesn't come across as me being critical...

Not at all. :) I enjoy constructive suggestions. This is my first time doing any modeling like this, so I'll take all the advice I can get. I'm getting ready to actually build my river and waterfall. I've been devouring How-To videos on YouTube and have even set up a little sample plate to practice on. I'm finding that I have built most of this layout in reverse. :rolleyes: That and impatience have been my enemies. ;)

Anyway, I picked up a bucket of local dirt the other day and, after baking it to kill the creepies and sifting it to thin it down, I was able to put a little ground cover on. I've only got one color green, but the dirt really helps the tone.

FullSizeRender_zps87904eff.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. The green, I think, really sets it off nicely. Now I've got to work on the rest of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I need to rename this thread to: "Building the Whistle Stop Railroad ~OR~ An Exercise in the reverse Two-Step." I keep getting ahead of myself and having to go back and redo things. Trying to get my waterfall and river straitened out. I used a variety of techniques to get it this far, so blending them together has been a bit of a challenge. "Let's try this... then I could do this. That will work... If I had done THAT before..." ugh... Anyway...

I have been trying to focus on my river and waterfall. I should have built them BEFORE I put the bridges and track in, but impatience is my enemy.

Painted up the riverbed:
FullSizeRender_zpsced42064.jpg

Added in some rocks and sand to complete the look (notice the unpainted sections of rock wall in the background? Hence the one step forward two back thing):
FullSizeRender_zpsb46f9dc7.jpg

Got some painting in around the sand and added some extra gravel and refuse to dress it up (and an abandoned car... you always need an abandoned car in a ravine, right?)
FullSizeRender_zps6a2cf0c1.jpg

Rocks and gravel on the far side of the trestle and the river up above:
FullSizeRender_zpsa7070ec7.jpg

Obviously a great deal of ground cover that has to go in, but it's a start. The hill to the right of the river will be covered in dirt and then "grass" and trees. To the left (the sandy side of the river) will be more ledges and rock, but there will also be an auto road for the party goers to have fun on the beach above the falls. There may be skinny dipping... we're not sure yet... ;)

Back the front, upside down - who cares, sometimes the best way to do something is when you get the inclination to do it rather than "put it off" because it is still somewhere down the order. ;)

Back