Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Hope you can all see that one. Since I've been using Win10, all I've had to do was copy and paste the whole Y/tube URL from the address bar, to have the video embed to the Quick Reply field on opening. This time I had to revert to the earlier Win7 method of only copying the part of the URL after the = in the address and using the "Go Advanced" reply option that has a YouTube symbol at the top that you click on to place it in the field and paste to that.

Thanks Toot, Always knew you were smarter than me!

Bill, Here's the photo you asked for. If it is not right let me know and I will make is so. Jim:)

Redo%20RO_Monochrome_zpszxasrnwc.jpg

Not smarts, Jim. Just the way it was when I first came on here. Another thing that's odd, is most times now, I can copy and paste a photo direct from the web or computer, other times I have to upload it to P/bucket to link it here. No idea why.

Jim-

Thanks!! thats exactly what I was hoping for. It really does (for me) tell a story.

Steam and b&w just go so well.

Great job, much appreciated.

Bill

Still sort of sick, almost a month, but getting better. I'm setting up and taking the last photos of the Red Oasis layout.

TOMORROW, Wednesday, I am going to start a series of usually two photos of all my layouts and projects. Since many of us here model in other scales it may be interesting to some who have some doubts about their scenery skills and this would show a progression of scenery and photo skills from 2006 to present day. Should be fun for all and a good learning tool. Jim:D

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, Jim!
Sorry that you are still under the weather. Several of us are experiencing the "old age" symptoms.

Something New

In a new series I'm going to show my modeling efforts from 2004 until now. I got my first digital camera in 2004 and went to a trainshow here in San Diego in the fall of that year.
Don't have a clue why my wife and I went as I had never modeled a thing after some plastic models when I was 10 years old.

So here we go. Layout #1

In 2004 I lived on a sailboat. Good sized, 51 feet, but still a boat. At the trainshow I purchased a Marklin starter set in Z scale figuring it would be fun to run it around the salon table.
After a few set ups I realized I had a space for a layout 26"x36". I would build it in a box so it stored out of the way when not using it. Here is photo 0001 from late 2004.

0001_zpsugahah54.jpg

US steam locos where $500 in those days and you hoped they would run. I knew absolutely NOTHING about model railroading and read a scenery and layout design mags. I knew what the outdoors actually looked like and using new knowledge I tried my best to make it look sort of real.

00031_zpsmubglu6f.jpg

Everything was bought in those days. I did make my own bridges and used my LHS for most scenery stuff.

Through all these years one constant has always be with me; Evie, my cat.

IMG_0389_zpsuuvi2uhc.jpg

The beauties of Z scale.

IMG_0267_zpsqpj5ej3u.jpg

Hope you like this first installment. More next week. Jim:)

You're too modest about your talent for modelling scenes and scenery Jim, when you consider the chances that someone who had never done any, could produce (and in Z scale to boot) a first layout that rivals anything a lifelong modeller would accomplish.

That he is, Toot. He is an true artist ... He has that ability to make, in miniature, what is in his vision - Not many can do that; certainly not I.

Thanks guys. I'm just lucky I guess. It would have been interesting, to me anyway, to have begun model railroading twenty years ago. Maybe by now I would now what's going on in the running of trains part!? Jim:eek:

We know the running of trains isn't your primary focus Jim (we forgive you for that), the recreation of a small part of an imaginary world that tells a story, is. The focus belongs to the camera in recording it.

Something more, almost new

Layout Number 2

When my wife and I moved ashore from nearly 20 years on the sailboat I began working on my first room-sized layout. I was about a month into it when I received a call from a friend in Oregon. Seems he met a women at a trainshow that was looking for someone to build a Z scale layout in a silverware/cutlery box. Her husband was halfway gone to Alzimers an thought something small and easy to deal with would be a big help to him. My friend was too busy and asked me. I said, 'Yes.' A week latter the box arrived and I was presented a whole new set of challenges.

I think this box was only 12"x16.5". First, I went to Radio Shack and got parts for the electrics. It had to be DC plugged into the wall. Next I found a backdrop and used my new supplies from my LHS.

IMG_1166_zpse2s2obqv.jpg

I used my Marklin loco and made the track fit its minimum radius requirements. In the end I sent my Marklin set along with the layout box so she wouldn't have to buy anything. I told her it was German railroad cars and she didn't think her husband would know better even though he loved trains. (Never a modeler however.) Once I got the track down and the loco and cars all running then scenery.

This was a new challenge for sure. I needed the box to close, hold all the electrics unseen, and look a real as I could make it, but not over doing it because of the man's health. Simple but effective.

IMG_117812_zps27pax8cg.jpg

As these folks lived in a rural area familiar to me as I was from Oregon, I figured a farm scene would have enough in it.

IMG_11791_zpssqzfqtq5.jpg

I made the bridge and the barn and put a small stream in.

IMG_1208_zps3wdjisd9.jpg

IMG_11871_zpso14gqovm.jpg

So that's the story of the smallest layout I've built. The husband played with it for years before his passing I was told. Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read this whole entire thread, from page 1 to 416. All I can say is, you are truly a talented man, Jim. You know when you start something and it's so enjoyable that you wish it would never end? That's exactly how I feel about this thread, I wish it would just go on forever haha. I actually made an account just to say thank you for sharing everything with us. I am getting back into modeling after a very long break and this is exactly what I needed to give me a kick start, thanks. Andrew

Andrew, I wish I had a prize for you, you may be one of only a handful. Congratulations. As far as talented, more like just lucky. The thread will continue. I have at least 8 or 9 more items to present and then a detailed diorama thing. Thanks again and good luck in your modeling. Jim:)

Something more, almost new

Layout Number 2

When my wife and I moved ashore from nearly 20 years on the sailboat I began working on my first room-sized layout. I was about a month into it when I received a call from a friend in Oregon. Seems he met a women at a trainshow that was looking for someone to build a Z scale layout in a silverware/cutlery box. Her husband was halfway gone to Alzimers an thought something small and easy to deal with would be a big help to him. My friend was too busy and asked me. I said, 'Yes.' A week latter the box arrived and I was presented a whole new set of challenges.

I think this box was only 12"x16.5". First, I went to Radio Shack and got parts for the electrics. It had to be DC plugged into the wall. Next I found a backdrop and used my new supplies from my LHS.

IMG_1166_zpse2s2obqv.jpg

I used my Marklin loco and made the track fit its minimum radius requirements. In the end I sent my Marklin set along with the layout box so she wouldn't have to buy anything. I told her it was German railroad cars and she didn't think her husband would know better even though he loved trains. (Never a modeler however.) Once I got the track down and the loco and cars all running then scenery.

This was a new challenge for sure. I needed the box to close, hold all the electrics unseen, and look a real as I could make it, but not over doing it because of the man's health. Simple but effective.

IMG_117812_zps27pax8cg.jpg

As these folks lived in a rural area familiar to me as I was from Oregon, I figured a farm scene would have enough in it.

IMG_11791_zpssqzfqtq5.jpg

I made the bridge and the barn and put a small stream in.

IMG_1208_zps3wdjisd9.jpg

IMG_11871_zpso14gqovm.jpg

So that's the story of the smallest layout I've built. The husband played with it for years before his passing I was told. Jim:)

What an honor, God Bless you Jim!

I surely am happy that you are taking this approach with your previous works'. It gives us a perspective into your previous thoughts and talents. Cheers!

Jim ..............I think you would be surprised to find that more people than you think
(like myself) have read every page of this thread.
I have been here from day one and I will be here on the last day, keep up the good work !
Although I don't think it's work for you.
Terry

I thought posting a few photos of the PCM&T collection I had the honor of purchasing from Jim a few years back might cheer him up. If the moderators want to move them, by all means do so.

53be1aee-c19a-4816-a098-1ffeb868c44c.png

0219171415.png

0219171432.png

0219171430.png

7a7020d9-3f04-4d27-8a6d-d6fad9593cc8.png

I went with some photo effects to cover up my sins.

Back