Building the North Texas Railroad

NTR, you may have already views these sites as well but in case not, here is a really good one that I just came across yesterday. This is a quote from another thread I am following on another forum but I found it very useful.

I can't comment on Unitrack but if you're building the Grand Valley layout I'd highly recommend watching some of the fabulous youtube videos especially lesson learned. Search Dan's Grand Valley Layout and Copterdude. I built the layout and it's really nice. I'd highly recommend you add another loop and a switching/storage yard. It only requires about a 5X9 platform vs 4X8. We call it the Grand Valley PLUS. Good luck.

Looking good!

It looks like you have access to all sides of the table. Very, very nice. Stay manual control - no need to automate unless you just want to. I am not familiar with the EZ track - do the turnouts have nice reliable positive point control? In other words, when you throw or close the turnout, does it have a spring or something to hold the points securely against the rails? If so - - you're golden.

I am automating my yard turnouts for route selection ability and because I have some long reaches. But the main table is easy reach, so I just rely on the positive action of the Peco TOs and I put Caboose ground throws on the Walthers. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. The automation project, on the other hand ... ... .... has me bogged down for months!! It will be nice when it is done!

Steve
Steve,
Yes all the turnouts are manual. Not sure if I'll use the remote controls or not, but that's the least of my worries for now. I'm not sure that the EZ Track turnouts have the positive point control, but I'm guessing yes? The points seem to stay put. Access all around so that hasn't presented a problem.

Last edited:
NTR, you may have already views these sites as well but in case not, here is a really good one that I just came across yesterday. This is a quote from another thread I am following on another forum but I found it very useful.

I can't comment on Unitrack but if you're building the Grand Valley layout I'd highly recommend watching some of the fabulous youtube videos especially lesson learned. Search Dan's Grand Valley Layout and Copterdude. I built the layout and it's really nice. I'd highly recommend you add another loop and a switching/storage yard. It only requires about a 5X9 platform vs 4X8. We call it the Grand Valley PLUS. Good luck.
Gary,
I had not seen the Dan's grand valley channel or Copterdude, but I've added them to my subscription list. Thank you for the suggestion!

Also, I've done my first track redo. 😕 Testing running cars last night I noticed that my longer 60ft boxcars were derailing on the runaround. It appears that the 3" straight pieces between the turnouts were not enough for the longer cars, so I went ahead and inserted 9" straights instead. So far that appears to have corrected the issue. Reading before I had seen a need for a straight piece in between turnouts that created an S-curve, but I guess that I underestimated the needed length.

Layout Update! I've completed a spur on the backside and the interchange track. The runaround stubs are complete minus the addition of bumpers at each end. Just need to fill in the curves at either end inside the loop and it'll be complete. Feels good to have it come together more to see what I've only been able to visualize in my mind and SCARM.

Layout Update 8-15-23-1.jpg

Layout Update 8-15-23-3.jpg

Layout Update 8-15-23-4.jpg

Layout Update 8-15-23-5.jpg

IMG-6030.jpg

Introducing my first DCC locomotive TRE#121 (F59PH) rom Rapido. Had it for a bit, but only used it on my starter set track. I tried it out this morning on the layout and seems to be working fine. DCC control is SO much nicer! Just have to get some Trinity Railway Express passenger cars for it to pull. Below is a picture of her namesake that I took at the beginning of the year at T&P Station in downtown Fort Worth.
TRE121 TP Station.jpg

Working on a revamp of the layout with the base. Do you have a particular position that have a DCC controller mounted? I'm trying to figure out where to mount the plate for my Powercab.

James, just saw this thread for the first time. You're coming along nicely!

As for the PCP panel, I can tell you the wire that tethers the cab to the panel is 6' or 7' long. You can purchase longer ones separately.

You can also buy additional panels and place them anywhere. However, if you want to move the cab from panel to panel without killing power to the layout you will need to expand the system with the NCE SB-5. That's what I did and I'm very happy with it. The SB-5 also allows you to go wireless down the road if you choose.

James, just saw this thread for the first time. You're coming along nicely!

As for the PCP panel, I can tell you the wire that tethers the cab to the panel is 6' or 7' long. You can purchase longer ones separately.

You can also buy additional panels and place them anywhere. However, if you want to move the cab from panel to panel without killing power to the layout you will need to expand the system with the NCE SB-5. That's what I did and I'm very happy with it. The SB-5 also allows you to go wireless down the road if you choose.
Thank you Paul! Haven't done much lately, but working up plans to better handle DCC operations on a more permanent basis (getting old having to get everything out each time I want to run trains). Paul that's good to know about the additional panels. Fortunately I should just need the one which will be center mounted on long side with the most operations action planned.

Back