Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

Hmmmm, how to place the supports for the bridge. The positioning has to be within about 1/64" tolerance. I'm not confident that measuring these sizes to that exactness will work. Have to make these mount points adjustable after the bridge is in place.

I'm thinking I will have to build some temporary supports that sit on the floor, adjust them so the bridge is exactly where it needs to be, height wise and side to side, then build the benchwork to match up to the bridge.

OK, here is what came together to support the bridge.
0113201521a.jpg

The two tall wood parts will attach to two of the benchwork panels under the scenery and away from the canyon. The horizontal 2X4 will entend into the canyon area but will be below the scenery. The concrete footers will extend up through the scenery to support the bridge.
I have to build another one like this for the other end of the bridge.
The design of these will provide the ability to make small adjustments up and down, side to side and axial to ensure the footers are exactly where they need to be and perfectly upright.

Got the bridge supports in place. They have to be adjusted about 1" down on each side. I'll do that tomorrow.
In the meantime, I started fitting the bearing shoes to the bridge. First step was to round off the points at the bottom of the bridge. Then, drill out the bearing shoes to accept the connecting pin. I'll have to go to a friends house to use his drill press to ensure the drill isn't crooked.

That's some real progress, Ken, and pretty ingenious as well.
I just might have redone the track leading up to it before I thought of the contraption that you have there. Yes-sir ... pretty nice thinking.

Welllll, I need a kick in the head. When I was building the bridge, I put in additional plates inside the beams at the bottom points where it would meet the bearing shoes. That was to give it additional strength. It's much thicker than just the beams themselves. I'll have to rebuild the bearing shoes again then make another mold.

OK, I got it. Figured out how to get around rebuilding the bearing. Just needed to look at it with the magnifying glass.
Fit the Bearing Shoes to the bottom of the bridge then set them on the footers.

Shoe Bearing.jpg

All leveled out.

Bearing Shoe 2.jpg

Moved it all over to the canyon for a test fit.

Test Fit.jpg

Still a little to high on each end. That's where the design of the bridge support benchwork comes into play.
Dang that looks good.
The canyon support frame will be lifted up and attached to the benchwork once the bridge is anchored in place. It's just sitting on the floor there now.

Now, off to the paint shop for the concrete color. I'll do another coat of concrete tomorrow then bring the bridge back in for some more touch up work.

Concrete.jpg

The movie 1917 is outstanding.
Interesting thing about it is it is all done in just three takes. In other words. The camera only stops three times throughout the whole movie.

Got the benchwork leveled out to within a smidgen. I can make the final roadbed adjustments with the track leading up to the bridge, just like in the real thing.

Ken - I think I gave you an ample supply because I figured that some of them may warp or not be cut properly. I hope they will work out for you. If you are short. I have additional.
I'm surprised that they have not dry rotted -- "snicker, snicker"

Actually - they look good on camera?

Back