Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

Plastruct 3/8" open truss 90654

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-01-22-30-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-01-22-30-02.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 282
KEN -- looking at the bridge that GARRY used - it seems to me that possibility you could "bash" a couple of these structures and get many of the beams that you will need. I'm not sure which kit he used for his bridge, but the rivet and plate detail looks like something you could use?

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...le=sd-units-hauling-a-westbound-train&cat=526

The components look like the parts that CVMW sells. I have a couple packets of their stuff on order now.

I received the packet from CVMW today and put one of the punch plate beams together.

CVMW Beams.jpg

This matches up to the I beams I am using for the main arch and deck support.
The packet contains enough material to make 15 of these 5 7/8" punch plate beams.
Thanks ral for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Talk about determination. Thumb up.gif I can see this project coming together in short order. Looks good Ken.

I received the packet from CVMW today and put one of the punch plate beams together.

CVMW%20Beams_zpsjgqzayeu.png

This matches up to the I beams I am using for the main arch and deck support.
The packet contains enough material to make 15 of these 5 7/8" punch plate beams.
Thanks ral for getting me pointed in the right direction.

You are welcome Ken, those do look nice, I've also ordered me several packages of these for my Canyon Diablo Bridge build. I think the largest expense with this bridge is the hand rail. There is a LOT of handrail! I cant wait to see you start this! I bet I'm more excited than you! LOL

By the way, me and a buddy are headed out there in a few days, i want to take a lot of pictures. I havent seen any of underneath, or any real good ones of the inspection walkways underneath.

Nice video! When i was a teenager me and some buddies went out there. They climbed all over under there, i did not! LOL

I did the rest of the calculations for material to build this bridge. Part of the order is with Plastruct and the rest is with CVMW. Over $800 in material. I'm committed now.

Ral, are you building your version of the bridge to full scale size?
Mine will be 78" end to end.
I'm still trying to find a source for the bridge foot pads. I'll make the footers from scultamold or carved wood.

Yes full size. I think 76" . Im not sure about the width, i think i came up with 5" i will have to double check that. Im going to scratch build the foot pads unless i find something else. I ordered 8 packs of the open trusses, i need 16 more another $100, also need around 34 packs of handrail another $100+. Its creeping towards $800! I want to build this and mount it in an 8' module, for display. Im trying to get a Winslow Model Railroad Club (WMRC) started here. So i think this would get some attention? Im also going to build a second 8' module of the second single track bridge built there, for display. And when i build my layout, im going to build another scale current bridge for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-06-00-58-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-06-00-58-06.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 268
WOW - This thread just keeps getting better all the time. I'm like others: Looking forward to watching things come together.
It has always marveled me that the type caliber people who become steel workers. I have looked at many photos of workers building bridges and tall buildings with them sitting out on a beam with hundreds of feet of nothing underneath and no sign of any of the safety equipment that would be required today.
One summer while in college, I tried my hand at working derricks on a roustabout crew in the oil patch where my father was the foreman of a crew of about 40 men. For some reason .. once I got above 70 feet up in the derrick .. I would get fairly weak in the knees. and I would take the safety rope with me to tie off when I reached the top and had to tie and string up the traveling block hanging out in the center of the derrick and having to use both hands - I just did not trust myself quite enough. I was glad that my father allowed and trusted me to work that position until he found someone who had more experience than me + mom was terrified of him letting me do it. Fast forward back to college - a guy in the flying club there had a PT-26 trainer which had a big radial engine and open cockpit. Another guy there was a former 82nd airborne and loved to skydive. (I'm shorting the story a little) I used to take him up to 10-11,000 feet - do a slow roll over and he would fall out of the back seat - freefall to around 1000 feet and pop his chute. I loved flying him up and absolutely loved flying that airplane, but I never could get used to the fact that the engine would quit when we went upside down and I was weightless for a few seconds hanging there against the seatbelt.

OK, didn't mean to hijack the thread - the videos and comments just brought back lots of distant memories - Thanks!

Looking at that 1881 bridge photo - Those guys back then were pretty good construction engineers. Amazing to me!
Was that the SF's first bridge over the canyon? I hate to show my ignorance, but when was the SF completed to the West Coast?

Sherrel- The A&P (Atlantic & Pacific) railroad built the first bridge. From what i understand the first attempt was a timber bridge, but that was dissasembled and thrown aslide. The second attempt was the 1881 steel single track bridge in the pic. I think the A&P completed the trackage to California in 1883. In the early 1900s the Santa Fe bought out the A&P. The current arch bridge was completed in Sept of 1947. There is a not so great picture of the first train over the bridge when it was finished.

Chet- i dont even want to know what it feels like under there when a train goes over it! Ive sat on top of the bridge while another train goes over it, and my BUTT PUCKERED bad enough! LOL

Ken- thats funny right there! But i will at least wear my hardhat.

Attachments

• 20170106_103438.jpg
    20170106_103438.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 279

Back