Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

That one is the prototype for the cast versions. It's balsa wood. It didn't turn out as well as I wanted it to, but then, showing it to others, they didn't notice the offset steps so I decided to keep it.

Excellent work! I too did not notice the offset steps until you pointed it out?
With the bridgeworks set into the shoe, no one else will be the wiser unless pointed out to them.
I am astonished at the level of detail you have captured in the footer and the shoe.

LOL - The cigar smoke will help to cover up the offset steps as well!

This one fits well. Prolly just need to trim a little off the front edge.
Just need to pour three more of them then add the two additional struts and paint em.

0109201639.jpg

While the resin is setting up on the bearing shoes, I started work on the bulkhead pieces. They are the concrete pieces that go at each end of the bridge. Fashioned the model out of balsa wood. Glued two parts together for the part that supports the end of the bridge. Tomorrow I'll make the silicon mold for that then pour the Woodland Scenics plaster into the mold.
The first picture shows the overall bulkhead at the end of the bridge.
The second picture shows the only actual contact between the bridge and the bulkhead.

canyon-diablo-bridge_4587772652_o.jpg

canyon-diablo-bridge_4587721646_o.jpg

16.jpg

Are you going to mold the "Shoes" (the part that holds the bridge ends off of the Bulkhead or abutment) or, will you use commercially available parts? I think that the top surface of the "Shoes" allow the end of the bridge to slide in and out, allowing for expansion and contraction of the bridge due to temperature variations.

Ken, you've done a wonderful job with this entire project. That it has taken you just over 3 years to get this far is understandable. Back when I was building and flying R/C airplanes I started on a 1/4 scale Aeronca Champ model that I had to stop in the middle of, as I had grown tired of the project I think it sat on the shelf for about a year before I picked it up again. These types of projects can wear a guy out and cause hair loss due to all the head scratching! I get it and again, wonderful job!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some shoes that seem to fit pretty close. They are a bit small but I guess they are good enough.
You're right about not touching it for a while. I've done that several times over the years. Just couldn't get into it. That was mostly about doing the inspection walk ways. They just weren't turning out as I wanted them to. I finally decided to just build the bridge and maybe install them later.

Those are some really good photos of close up details.
Did you make them? ... Did Ron make them? ... Did you find them elsewhere?
BTW - Wonder what happened to Ron? After his truck was stolen, he just sort of seemed to "slide away". I figure that I will see if I can find him the next time I am in the Winslow area.

Looking at the size and weight of that bridge and the supporting shoes and bolts, I am remembering that there were only Four 3/8 or 1/2 inch bolts holding each engine onto the pylon of the B-707.
Amazing!

Ron provided a lot of photos of the actual bridge. I found others on the internet.
Finished the last of the four bearing shoes. Applied the additional struts for support (the white plastic). This one is a differant color because it's a differant brand, but it ends up with the same properties. Just a slight bit of flex.
The bulkhead mold is setting up now. Took two whole sets of mold liquid to fill it in. Prolly wait till tomorrow to pull it apart.
0110201659.jpg

I think that the top surface of the "Shoes" allow the end of the bridge to slide in and out, allowing for expansion and contraction of the bridge due to temperature variations.
Comparing the middle and bottom picture, it looks as though the vertical part of the support is able to rock on the base plate. There's a central tongue that locates the top piece, longitudinally, with a curve in it's lower face.

Here are two bulkheads made with two different plasters
The one on the left is Woodland Scenics. The one on the right is Perfect Plaster.
The Perfect Plaster has a lot more bubbles in it than the Woodland Scenics plaster.
Both took the same amount of prep as well as same drying time.

0112201311.jpg

Started the final fitting of the bridge to the benchwork this morning. I need about 3/4" so the bulkheads will fit in there. Somehow I forgot about them when I was building the canyon support. I think I can make the adjustments without dismantling it again.

Sure hope so -- Still scratching my head over the bubbles? Think maybe it dried too quickly? Or, maybe the mixture was too thick? Or, Or, Or ...

Not sure why the bubbles. The second one that I poured with the Woodland scenics had quite a few bubbles too.
I was able to fix it with a coating of the plaster. It dries real quick when it's pread real thin so I scraped that off and did it again but quicker.

Back