Building Models

Since I model 1900-1905, the only models for cars I have are either "craftsman" kits, kitbashes of other cars or scratchbuilding. Model manufacturers think railroads were invented just after WW1 so if you want to do a lot of model building, choose an earlier era.

When Walthers started their passenger car journey, they originally were going to do kits. The Chinese vendor asked if they were interested in having the components assembled. The price adder for assembly was ridiculous, something like 50 cents a car, so they said yes. Bowser had several thousand freight car kits on their shelves that weren't moving, so they sent them off to China, had them assembled, and sent back. They flew off the shelves. It was clearly what the market wanted. It's the economy, the 60 hour work week or the second job that did this. It ate up hobby time. Kits are still there though. People are still building them.

The funnest part of hobby for me is whatever I'm working on at the time, as I enjoy all aspects of MRRing. I'm DC only, so I don't have to mess with that DCC stuff. If I do get bored or tired of something, I'll just muscle through and get it done. But operating and switching are at the top of the list, followed by scratch building structures.

Back