Building an On30 4x8 layout

hminky

I am building an On30 4x8 beginner's level layout and chronicling the adventure on my website. I am presenting construction articles on the steps of construction. I also have information on putting DCC in the Bachmann Mogul and tips on getting the Broadway Limited C-16 to perform better.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/main_page/

Thank you if you visit :) :)
Harold

Hi Harold, what am I missing, it sure looks a lot bigger than 4 X 8 to me. Nice site, where do you get the time to update the website and build a layout, modify locos and rollingstock. I'll be back for a better look at some of the features on your site later, just having a coffee break now. I liked the coloring on the ties, what colors did you use?
Cheers Willis

Willis,
I have modeled in all the scales and amazingly the O scale appears larger in the small format. I guess the overall is reduced. I have had N scale layouts and they appeared awful in the small format and my HO appearance wise failed. I guess it is the small scene not being taken in by the whole eye.
That is Atlas snaptrack that I spray with a flat white enamel and stain with waterproof india ink. The tunnel portal was done the same way. Make sure the India Ink is waterproof or it will run and cause all sorts of problems when you ballast.
Hope that helps
Harold

CB&CNSfan said:
Hi Harold, what am I missing, it sure looks a lot bigger than 4 X 8 to me.
I think the confusion comes from the fact that there is a plan on the site for a much bigger layout, one you apparently plan to build later. If you don't read the text carefully, it's easy to get confused.

Well yes Bob that was one thing for sure, but some of the photos suggested to me it was around the room modules, as I said coffee break from outside so it was only a fast look.
Hi Harold I think I'll try some of tie treatment ( painting ) I'm quite impressed with the looks, I'd be happy if I could even get close to the look.
Cheers Willis

Weathering Atlas Snaptrack

Sorry about the confusion :eek: , will have to go back and un-confuse the website. Here is what the ties look like when painted with flat white and stained with waterproof India Ink wash. The India Ink Wash should be thin enough that it is transparent. This method also works on styrene and polyurethane castings. These ties are a bit dark for my Central California narrow gauge lines weathered redwood ties. I like them slightly whiter.

weathered_ties.jpg

Hope that helps and thanks for the feedback on the website :)
Harold

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips Harold, I 'm using Atlas flex track and turnouts so it should work out ok. I have a goodly amount completed with ballast but I'll start on the un ballasted first.
Cheers Willis

Back