Building an airbrush paint booth

For solvent based paints you also need to vent the booth to the outside. I airbrush acrylic paints exclusively. Anything solvent based is done outside.

So I read this more carefully, and if I read right, there is no need to duct to the outside if you are using acrylics....that just the filter is enough, and then the filtered fumes blow into the room. Correct?

I'm kind of curious to know if this saved enough money to be worthwhile. You can buy a booth that size, albeit for several hundred dollars, but you wouldn't have to worry too much about the thing exploding or burning down the house if you messed something up.

From the looks of the materials list, you may have saved some money, but not necessarily that much.

If it were me, the lighting would be behind a sealed cover that prevented any of the fumes from getting to the light with the light only accessible from outside of the booth. I'd probably also look into paying for the exhaust system so that you don't have to worry about what happens if there are any sparks.

Still, kind of a cool project.

Form post #17: "For solvent based paints you also need to vent the booth to the outside. I airbrush acrylic paints exclusively. Anything solvent based is done outside."

Acrylics do not create explosive fumes.
The wiring plan was checked and greenlighted by the plant electrician where I work, he is a friend of mine.
Saving money was not the main goal. Having a booth that is what I wanted it to be was the goal.

So I read this more carefully, and if I read right, there is no need to duct to the outside if you are using acrylics....that just the filter is enough, and then the filtered fumes blow into the room. Correct?
It is a good idea to vent it to the outside if possible. It is mandatory with solvent based paints as the fumes can be hazardous. With acrylics the fumes aren't as much an issues as the paint particulates (pieces of pigment) are. I do intend to install a denser filter in my booth, the one that's in there is probably not the best choice. It's a good idea to wear a dust mask while painting, although most people don't. The fumes aren't hazardous, but it's good to keep the particulates out of your lungs. So vent it if possible, otherwise use a good filter and a dust mask. I've also seen where some people will use a piece of nylon stocking over the outlet to help catch more particulates. Don't use your wife's good ones or paint particulates may be the least of your worries.

Form post #17: "For solvent based paints you also need to vent the booth to the outside. I airbrush acrylic paints exclusively. Anything solvent based is done outside."

Acrylics do not create explosive fumes.
The wiring plan was checked and greenlighted by the plant electrician where I work, he is a friend of mine.
Saving money was not the main goal. Having a booth that is what I wanted it to be was the goal.
Gotcha, that would be very different. It's one thing to do this sort of thing with an expert checking things and quite another to do so on ones own.

One of the issues with modern mass market merchandise is that many people can't have exactly what they want, unless what they want is exactly what other people want.

One of the issues with modern mass market merchandise is that many people can't have exactly what they want, unless what they want is exactly what other people want.
It's kind of like when Henry Ford first started producing the Model T. "You can have any color you want.... as long as you want black."

I wonder how an oil or water bath filter system would work for a booth?
I'd imagine you'd need the air flow to be as dry as possible. I remember seeing oil bath filters used as a ventilation system years back but I'd think it would make the draw much harder?

Nice airbrush paint booth.
I have a Master Airbrush, it works great when on the second fan setting which is considerably louder, single fan is great for after your done working on your models to get rid of the residual smell, also works great for after priming it keeps the smell from leaking everywhere which is nice. Putting together was a little difficult at first as the directions aren't super descriptive. While using single fan is about as loud as a 3d printer/floor fan on setting 2/3 with both fans about half as loud as a leaf blower. LEDs are probably the best I've worked with even with the plastic covering on they give great lighting!

Last edited:
Funny this was resurrected, was considering my options as far as paint sprayer and booth, good timing…. Anybody recommend a good quality sprayer that they prefer over the rest?

As far as airbrushes go, you won't go wrong with a brush from any of the major manufacturers. Personally, I prefer Badger products. I have the Patriot 105 and like it.

When I started airbrushing again (after many years of not doing MRR stuff) I found I didn't like my really old Badger. So I read a bunch of reviews and picked up an Iwata-Medea Revolution CR Dual Action brush. I'm pretty happy with it.

I also built a paint booth - but I made mine out of a heavy duty cardboard box I had. I should add a light to it. I was sure I had some pictures, but I can't find them right now.

Back