Building a swamp & a Roundhouse - Lights!

Negotiations continue with the flooring company, but the framers are done:

That’s some nice framing on the roundhouse! Are you still planning on making it a derelict building?

I'm not sure now... I'm pretty happy with the framing but haven't quite figure out walls yet. Once I figure out the walls, I'll have to go from there.

A new contractor was secured for the flooring and the work is nearly done. Just a little clean up work is needed. The new contractor was one of those little, local Mom & Pop companies, so everyone feel better inside socially. It got "poured" in sections, but that should all get cleaned up pretty well with the painting.

And speaking of painting, I'm trying to decide if I want to paint the frame a nice, industrial Green or leave it more a wood grain color.

The floor pour is done.

It's been a good weekend. Those with a keen eye may notice an illumination change. I got a lighting project done and this side of the layout can now be seen. :) Still a little more work to do on the lights, but it's far better than it was. Now I need to decide if this will be a timber framed building or if the pillars will be painted industrial green. Then I have to tun my thoughts to the walls again. Plus, Tony's engine shop gave me a great idea for lights. I'll have to see if I can work that into the design.

In the meantime, a quad of engines tried out the new digs.

This is looking great KB02. I love wood so my choice for the "beams" would be to keep them wood, so long as that fits your era and feel of the layout. Either way, it is going to be one very impressive structure that you can be very proud of.

Alright. I think wood beams they shall remain. :cool:

The glassier stopped by today and mocked up the frames for the windows in the top section (Cupola?). There was initially some grumbling about how every section was different and he wouldn't be able to just build one frame and duplicate from there. Then he was reminder that he was being paid by the hour. After that the grumbling ceased. ;)

An example with a mocked up roof:

The frames are just 1/4" hardware cloth. I'm planning to use the same on any side windows. Still have to figure out roof and wall, but I am definitely leaning heavily on purchasing plain brick sheets for the walls. I'm going to want the roof to be removable just in case I need to get my fat hands inside there.

The roofers showed up yesterday and got a significant amount of work done.

They should finish the main roof today. Then the cupola section will be next.

The roofers showed up yesterday and got a significant amount of work done.

They should finish the main roof today. Then the cupola section will be next.

That'll be a great story, "So, how did you build it?"
"With a toy gun, two zucchini and an empty glass of milk!"

ROTFLMAO-R_zps23c8b7ef.gif~c200

As Mike said, this is getting better and better - what are you going to clad the roof with ie metal, shingles?

Well, that’s a good question. The roofers have finished framing up the roof and now it’s time to top it. My initial thought was a gravel roof, but that really only used for flat roofs. Now I’m thinking just tar. Although, I have considered metal as well.
Right now all the sections are removable. I do want to tie all the top pieces together, though, but figuring out how to do that will be a challenge.

Attachments

• 7B759BFF-92CE-486E-87EC-D94986689BFC.jpeg
    7B759BFF-92CE-486E-87EC-D94986689BFC.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 211

Back