Building a new Marklin HO layout.

malletman

Alcohaulic
Hello, I have been out of the HO world from an active standpoint for awhile. I have been busy enjoying G scale and live steam in that scale for the last couple years as can been seen on the shelves in my pictures to follow. But, I am now building a new HO layout using Marklin's C track and Uhlenbrock digital control. My layout is 8 foot across and is a folded dog bone style to give me access to my shelves without trying to lean over a conventional 4' by 8' layout. My room is quite small, being only 9 foot wide by 8 foot long, this set up avoids any duck unders, or issues with the 2 doors that open into the room. The railway will be set in northern Germany and feature the Langer Heinrich(Long Henry) ore trains hauled by class 44, 43 and 42 2-10-0 steam locomotives. The class 44 engines were 3 cylinder machines with a neat cadence to the exhaust. I am using the older Uhlenbrock Intellibox IR controler w/ wireless remote ability and their IBswitch turnout control. Each turnout has a motor and decoder installed inside it. This simplifies layout wiring to just a few feeder taps to the rails and center stud contacts. The only other wiring will be for building and street lights. The track plan is slowly evolving but the main line is not yet complete. A long passing siding will be along the wall, and a short one in the front where the depot will be, so the unit ore trains can pass the small passenger train. Winter will be the season, just before the holidays, so the platform will be busy with folks traveling to go shopping and see family/friends. Mike the Aspie
Resized-20181213-124125-6179.jpg

Resized-20181214-143541-3384.jpg

Resized-20181215-235000-7337.jpg

Looks like you have quite a nice collection there! The new layout is looking good, nice start!

The Marklin grey box between the two controlers is a 60va transformer that powers everything. Here is a pic of the Langer Heinrich set in its box, BR44 2-10-0 with sound, and 10 factory weathered ore hoppers with real ore loads in them. I am planning to get the 5 car add on set soon, that should be plenty long enough on my small railway. I also have an assortment of freight wagons. I think my wife got me a the Gleis one(Track one) starter set for Christmas. This set will become a portable layout using its mobile station 2 digital control. It will also be set in the holiday time of year. That mini layout wil be 33" by 55" using an exhisting table I have from a past Marklin mini layout I built years ago. Mike the Aspie
Resized-20181214-125256-6780.jpg

Resized-20181214-125311-2839.jpg

Thanks, the base bench work was given to me by a gentleman for a O scale 2 rail layout I was planning but never came to pass. I just couldn't achieve what I wanted in the space I have. Since that time I have been blessed with a good union job at the local FCA transmission assembly plant that understands my challenges of being autistic. The income has allowed me to expand my collection and start the new layout. The layout is my escape from the stress of factory work(constant noise and off shift hours).

Here is another progress pic, I decided to do my big layout in spring time, so the baseboard got painted green with some paint I had on hand. I have a small portable layout that will get the winter treatment and use the Mobile Station 2 controler on it. The plant I am in is quieter than the one I started at, but still noisy enough that I wear headset style over the ear hearing protection. I tried without and had a bad meltdown after work. So I keep them on except on breaks and if I need to talk to someone. Mike the Aspie
Resized-20181217-195805-6940.jpg

I was going to suggest earplugs, but then didnt because I figured that at your age you've already figured that out.
So yes, cutting out noise helps.
Also looking forward to more layout updates!

I am unable to tollerate having things stuffed in my ears(sensory issues), hence the ear muff style protection. I also sleep under a 22lb weighted blanket so I am able to sleep thru the night. Also great for calming down if a have a "bad" day. Mike the Aspie

Back