building a building

74roadrunner426

Hello,

I am new here, very first post. I have always loved the miniature world. I am fascinated by model train layouts, but not really into trains themselves. Please forgive me, I know that is probably a stoning offense here. :) I used to be into 1/25 scale cars, and I am planning to get back into them, now 25 years later. I want to build a junkyard, complete with large building for my cars. I am hoping to learn from everyone here and hopefully make some new acquaintances who share similar if not the same interests.

Thank You,
Daniel

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. I like the town you live in!:) Isn't that a crazy thing? Of all the places in this world.

There aren't a lot of large scale modelers here, but a lot of the same principles apply. If you don't find what you're looking for, there is a forum called trains.com that has a garden scale area. They build in the scale you are talking about. Not that I'm trying to chase you away.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

Mankato

Thanks Corey, I saw that you were in Mankato before I registered on this site. Are there any railroading clubs in our area? I really wish Don's Hobby had not gone out of business. I am also planning a layout in HO scale, but it will be military in nature using Roco vehicles. All in due time of course. Anything and everything I can learn will be helpful in both these projects. Looking forward to learning and getting to know everyone.

Daniel

Oh, come on now Dan, where is there a better place than the thriving metropolis of Mankato?:D

Daniel, Don's hobby was going out of business right when I resurrected my hobby from the depths of my mothers basement. At the time, I thought I had everything I needed from my past endeavors. Not to mention, I lived in La Crosse WI at the time and only had Sundays off. I didn't get in on the deals in the going out of business sale. Isn't it funny how you only miss something once it's gone? Hobby Lobby is an okay source for scenery products. You can print their 40% off coupon from their website and use it on regularly priced items. Namely, woodland scenics products.

The only club that I know of is in St James. I believe they have HO and a larger scale as well. Whether it's G or O scale, I don't know.

I hope you enjoy your hobby again.

I have a large junk yard on my layout w/cars, trucks & trains & a bunch of other stuff. It has only 1 run down closed building on the back of the yard & a small quonset size office by the tracks. I didn't need a large building for rusted out junk. There is a large junk yard about 300 ft from my house that use to be my welding shop in the 80's. I sold out to a guy that leased the property to a wrecker co. They put up a large metal building on the property to house crime scene crashed vehicles which is required by the state. It started out as a pole barn(no permit required) & then after all inspections were over they closed it in w/large doors. There's a lot of buildings you can scratch build for this purpose. I can get a photo of this building or you can probably find one in your local area to copy.

Here's a few pics of my oversized junk yard which gets a lot of lookers from visitors because it's the 1st thing they see when they walk in. These are from my New GAP thread on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, advice, and pics. I figure a junk yard for my parts cars, surrounded by chainlink fence ( screen wire ), should work for G scale, and a big metal building for office and engines, trannys, parts, etc. Next door maybe a hotrod/custom car shop for my built cars. In the next room will be my HO scale military layout with Roco vehicles. This will be a combination of factual and fantasy from a former top secret installation and an existing one. I hope the men in black suits and in black SUVs dont come take me away:eek: ;)

Daniel

Don't feel bad, I'm not much into trains either, but I do love model railroads! I'm mostly a fan of structures and terrain. If you're like me, you'll also enjoy this site...

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/

It's heavy into table top gaming, but the terrain work these people do is amazing.

Back