Broken Tie Connector Leather Repair - Loco-to-Tender

fairbro

I broke two of these connectors just while handling the locomotive and tender. They are not metal (I think because there's not supposed to be any possible electrical connection between the two units), but the little tie is brittle, and not too much stronger than cardboard. They refuse to be glued back together. Anyway I cut a thin strip of leather and punched holes in it to make a connector. The leather is strong, it will last a long time. Out here in Cow Country, there are lots of leather things.

I am selling these on Ebay, I wonder if the buyer will be upset when he discovers the substitution? The problem is I can't find those connectors. I don't even know how to search because I don't know what they are called. I suppose I could paint the leather a flat black or something, then it wouldn't be conspicuous.

IMG_6427.JPGIMG_6428.JPGIMG_6429.JPGIMG_6430.JPGIMG_6431.JPGIMG_6435.JPG

Last edited:
Good idea for repair. I agree with Ken that it should be painted black.

I did a few kit bashes years ago with some steamers and draw bars are available through Walthers.

I've used .060" styrene to do the same thing. If leather works, fine! But it may get too flexible over time. But whatever works!

That's a good idea for a quick repair.
I would use a piece of styrene as suggested, but if not available - use a piece of water bottle or anything else - there is a lot of plastic "throw away" around the different packaging these days.

Back