Broken Tie Connector Leather Repair - Loco-to-Tender

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
I broke two of these connectors just while handling the locomotive and tender. They are not metal (I think because there's not supposed to be any possible electrical connection between the two units), but the little tie is brittle, and not too much stronger than cardboard. They refuse to be glued back together. Anyway I cut a thin strip of leather and punched holes in it to make a connector. The leather is strong, it will last a long time. Out here in Cow Country, there are lots of leather things.

I am selling these on Ebay, I wonder if the buyer will be upset when he discovers the substitution? The problem is I can't find those connectors. I don't even know how to search because I don't know what they are called. I suppose I could paint the leather a flat black or something, then it wouldn't be conspicuous.

IMG_6427.JPG IMG_6428.JPG IMG_6429.JPG IMG_6430.JPG IMG_6431.JPG IMG_6435.JPG

Last edited:

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good idea for repair. I agree with Ken that it should be painted black.

I did a few kit bashes years ago with some steamers and draw bars are available through Walthers.

Sirfoldalot

Plucked Tailfeathers
Staff member
That's a good idea for a quick repair.
I would use a piece of styrene as suggested, but if not available - use a piece of water bottle or anything else - there is a lot of plastic "throw away" around the different packaging these days.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.